Back to the 'Premium' sound system

R3NVL

After nearly 2 months with the new Superb Estate i have very little to complain about. Especially as I'm running a Shark stage 1 map!! :D

But...... After my initial impressed opinion of the sound system I'm having to change my mind and voice my disappointment.

It seems to be at curtain frequencies, even at low volumes the door panels vibrate. This is VERY VERY annoying, especially as its the 'Upgraded' system. For example, The start of Billy Jean by MJ is really bad for it. But them some bass heavy tunes don't suffer. Im struggling to put my finger on where the problem lies as I want to resolve it and believe that is is not a fault, but a design flaw.

Is it the woofer? Is it the door panels? is it some lack of sound proofing? I have tried the same tracks at various volumes in my colleagues A6 and not a single bit of distortion/vibration. Its the only aspect of the car that feels cheap. Do i replace the speakers? i know the amp/crossovers are fixed and i think they are of a decent quality...

Thoughts?

Cheers

After nearly 2 months with the new Superb Estate i have very little to complain about. Especially as I'm running a Shark stage 1 map!! :D

How does the car compare now with the re-map?

I assume you needed to take the car to him as I have heard the MY11 Superb's cannot be done with the STS.

I was initially disappointed with the low down torque of the 140 & 170CR engines I have driven compared to my 130PD so this is something I may be considering in the future, has it made much if any difference to the MPG?

How does the car compare now with the re-map?

I assume you needed to take the car to him as I have heard the MY11 Superb's cannot be done with the STS.

I was initially disappointed with the low down torque of the 140 & 170CR engines I have driven compared to my 130PD so this is something I may be considering in the future, has it made much if any difference to the MPG?

I love it. loads better low down. i think it would suit the manual box better but its still a massive improvement. I would say its knocked off between 5-8 mpg so down to low 40's

And yes, he had to take an angle grinder to the ECU housing EKK

Edited by R3NVL

Is it the woofer? Is it the door panels? is it some lack of sound proofing? I have tried the same tracks at various volumes in my colleagues A6 and not a single bit of distortion/vibration. Its the only aspect of the car that feels cheap. Do i replace the speakers? i know the amp/crossovers are fixed and i think they are of a decent quality...

I had the same issues with the upgraded sound system in my last Superb hatch and I felt it was down to a combination of poor quality small speakers combined with inadequate packing in the door cards. Despite this I've ordered the system again on my new car as I found you could work around the problem by keeping the bass at a lower level than you otherwise might. This reduced the distortion to barely noticeable levels.

I'll give credit to Volvo here. The XC70 I'm running at the moment has a Dynaudio stereo system (standard fit) and it's really excellent. I notice that the speakers are larger than the Superb's were and the door cards feel a lot better padded.

I've also ordered the upgraded sound system as I'm told the standard system isn't up to much.

Also check that one or more speakers aren't burst. This is not uncommon on Superbs,I know of two cars which have had one or more speakers replaced under warranty.

Mark.

I had the same issues with the upgraded sound system in my last Superb hatch and I felt it was down to a combination of poor quality small speakers combined with inadequate packing in the door cards. Despite this I've ordered the system again on my new car as I found you could work around the problem by keeping the bass at a lower level than you otherwise might. This reduced the distortion to barely noticeable levels.

I'll give credit to Volvo here. The XC70 I'm running at the moment has a Dynaudio stereo system (standard fit) and it's really excellent. I notice that the speakers are larger than the Superb's were and the door cards feel a lot better padded.

I've also ordered the upgraded sound system as I'm told the standard system isn't up to much.

Also check that one or more speakers aren't burst. This is not uncommon on Superbs,I know of two cars which have had one or more speakers replaced under warranty.

Mark.

Would you recommend upgrading the speakers?

Would you recommend upgrading the speakers?

Not that easy to answer R3NVL.

I intend to get my new car (being built mid December apparently) and then see how the system sounds based on what I remember from my previous Superb.

If the new car sounds the same as the previous one (vibrating speakers and distortion especially when playing bass) then I'm not convinced that just simply upgrading the speakers would solve the issue. I think the main problem lies in the door card material as I suggested above. If that is correct then more powerful/ larger speakers might even make the vibration worse.

I suspect that the upgraded sound system was either designed after the Superb interior was designed and hence Skoda have put in the speakers they use as a best compromise option or, I think more likely, the system has been designed down to a price. What you get with the upgrade is more adjustability. You don't get a system that can handle the bass as you would expect from an upgraded Audi or Volvo system. Then again, those upgraded systems are more than 3 times the price of the Skoda upgrade.

I'd be interested in hearing about anyone who has had upgraded speakers and/ or modified door packing fitted to improve the Superb's sound system.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Same problem here.

The problem I have is that the car is lovely and rattle free and If the door cards are removed the chances of inheriting a rattle or a creak is very high.

I am also interested to hear if anyone has had other speakers fitted and also whether or not there is scope to modify something behind the door cards to stop the vibration.

I suspect that the upgraded sound system was either designed after the Superb interior was designed and hence Skoda have put in the speakers they use as a best compromise option or, I think more likely, the system has been designed down to a price. What you get with the upgrade is more adjustability. You don't get a system that can handle the bass as you would expect from an upgraded Audi or Volvo system. Then again, those upgraded systems are more than 3 times the price of the Skoda upgrade.

Mark.

Hi Mark

I have the Dynaudio Premium Sound on my current MY08 Volvo S40. It's not 3 times the Skoda price, its 6 ;)

When i get my new Superb i will probably upgrade it with aftermarket Dynaudio speakers and a real Digital Amplifier..

I'm happy with mine but a proper sub woofer and decent crossovers would help, you will always get a bit of vibration from the trim at low bass whatever the car my MB with Bose did it as well not that the skoda system is as good as that

How is the upgraded sound system compared to the standard? I drove a demo car with the standard system and I didn't like it.

I ordered the upgraded system because of this. Im not looking for "fat bass", just more clarity in the sound. Have I made the right choice?

/P

How is the upgraded sound system compared to the standard? I drove a demo car with the standard system and I didn't like it.

I ordered the upgraded system because of this. Im not looking for "fat bass", just more clarity in the sound. Have I made the right choice?

/P

I haven't heard the standard sound system in the Superb, but I have spoken to another Superb owner who listened to the upgraded system in the Superb I had and then wished he'd paid for it. in his. His was the opinion I quoted suggesting the standard system was 'not up to much'.

Make of that what you will, I've no doubt there will be those with the standard system who are happy with it., fine, no problem.

My opinion, FWIW, is that the adjustability of the upgraded system makes it worth having for me. You can fine tune numerous settings within the options it has to suit your own tastes. Not just for music either. I would often watch DVD's (whilst parked waiting for SWMBO :zzz: ) on the Columbus and the sound was excellent.

If as you say you aren't looking for 'fat bass' and you enjoy setting things up to your tastes then you have made the right choice. As I mentioned above, I've ordered the upgraded system again on my (hopefully) soon to be delivered new Superb.

Mark.

That sounds great! So the realist problem with the upgraded system is the vibrating door cards when playing loud bass?

It could not be to hard to find the right spot to isolate to get rid of this vibration?

I'll get right on it when I get my car.

/P

I'd be interested in hearing about anyone who has had upgraded speakers and/ or modified door packing fitted to improve the Superb's sound system.

Hello,

I had the same problem in my Superb 3.6 V6.

It was very irritating for me and I decided to fix it.

You may see what I did here:

http://picasaweb.google.pl/boguslawski.piotr/SuperbAudioVideo

No more vibrating :)

Sound is much, much better. It's comparable to Premium Sound system I had in 2007 Volvo XC90.

P.

Hello,

Sound is much, much better. It's comparable to Premium Sound system I had in 2007 Volvo XC90.

P.

Obviously a great deal of work gone into that. I'm pleased to hear about the improvement, thanks for posting the photos.

I see you've gone from an XC90 to a Superb which is similar to what I will be doing (currently running an XC70 and getting a Superb 170CR 4x4 combi). Slightly off topic I know, but how do you think the Superb compares to the XC90 for driving in wet and slippery conditions? I'd guess with it's lower centre of gravity the Superb will feel better, what do you think?

Mark

I see you've gone from an XC90 to a Superb which is similar to what I will be doing (currently running an XC70 and getting a Superb 170CR 4x4 combi). Slightly off topic I know, but how do you think the Superb compares to the XC90 for driving in wet and slippery conditions? I'd guess with it's lower centre of gravity the Superb will feel better, what do you think?

I agree. It's better in any conditions if you like drive dynamicaly (I like :)).

Superb is harder, lower, lightest, has a lot more power,

better automatic transmision (DSG) and better handling (power steering is harder).

This applies to my version, 3.6 V6 4x4 DSG - i don't know nothing about TDI 170CR.

but...

Volvo (XC90 and I think XC70 also) has much better seats and climatisation.

You can feel this on long trips (more than 1000km).

P.

Hello,

P.

Looks like they are not a like for like fit. Did you have to make new mounts for those speakers?

Does the tweeter fit behind the factory grill?

What is the silver soundproofing material you used?

Great job !! :thumbup:

Thanks

Looks like they are not a like for like fit. Did you have to make new mounts for those speakers?

The rings are made for better hold and avoid vibrating.

Does the tweeter fit behind the factory grill?

Yes.

What is the silver soundproofing material you used?

STP mats.

http://www.stp-distribution.com/

P.

That is a great pick of the install in progress. Can you provide details of size speakers used and how you connected to head unit. Using adapter etc. I am looking to do this very soon and am wondering the best place to get the signal feed from as do not wish to loose the Columbus head unit. Thanks for any help provided.

Also for others reading the factory amp is not worthwhile and does not offer a well sounding package even if you do not listen to ( bass ) music having a sub is so important for any tips of music to help it sound full and well rounded.

• 4 months later...

Not that easy to answer R3NVL.

I intend to get my new car (being built mid December apparently) and then see how the system sounds based on what I remember from my previous Superb.

If the new car sounds the same as the previous one (vibrating speakers and distortion especially when playing bass) then I'm not convinced that just simply upgrading the speakers would solve the issue. I think the main problem lies in the door card material as I suggested above. If that is correct then more powerful/ larger speakers might even make the vibration worse.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

I've had the same issues since I collected my car in Sept 2010. Most frustrating was the fact that I had paid nearly £400 for an enhanced audio system, just to have buzzing and vibrating with certain songs, even with bass and mid levels set to minimum. Not much joy with my original 'local' dealer, but finally went to Progress Skoda in Northampton.

They had the car intially for three days, and carried out a modification that has been issued by Skoda. Not 100% sure what the mod was, but its related to cable routing within the front doors. This was completed and, cynical as I was, there was a huge improvement over audio performance pre-mod. However, I was still not completely happy with the end result, so Progress contacted Skoda UK again. Within 24 hours, Skoda UK suggested that alternative speakers be fitted - apparently they have changed their OEM Speaker supplier. Two weeks later, and after an hour of speaker swapping...... finally I have a system that I am happy to have paid the additional money for.

Please note, in line with many comments on here, its no B&O, Dynaudio, Bose replacement. BUT...... so much better than the standard set up.

MAJOR CREDIT here goes to Progress Skoda in Northampton. Huge thanks to Gavin for taking the time to actually try and solve a problem, rather than just shrugging shoulders and giving up. As a dealership, they are well worth a visit.