VRS Brake Caliper Guide Pins

zaaz

Hi all,

Had my mk1 VRS for almost a year now, and had the brake pad wear warning light came on, so I duly got some new pads.

Fitted the drivers side pair fine, but on the passenger side, both guide bolts failed. The first span up in the caliper arm and wouldn't come out at all. The second sheared off, leaving most of the threaded part behind.

I took off the caliper bracket, and was able to drill out both bits of old thread, but on one side it has completely chewed the thread, effectively leaving me with a clearence hole!!!

Has this happened to anybody else? As I looked around the underside of the car, it was clear that it had been in some sort of heavy impact on that side, as the under tray and wheel liner were badly damaged, along with a small mark on the suspension arm. Not sure if this had anything to do with the failures?

Can I buy these guide pins online, or from a stealer? Is that what they are called? What about the caliper bracket? Is that its proper name? Don't really want to buy a new one, so thinking scrappy or online spare parts broker. Its possible I may be able to fashion some solution at work (engineering company) but will definately need 2 new pins.

Cheers in advance,

Russ

You need a caliper carrier and two guides

Usually happens when they are over tightened when pads have been fitted.

Cheers Tech1e,

Have asked a price for the guide pins from my local stealer, and have put out a few enquiries for a second hand carrier, think they are around the £80 mark new.

Russ