Audi TT hydraulic tappets ?

vrs james

Hi, my friend at work has a 1.8T 225 audi tt,

She has taken her car to the garage today after having a very loud tapping noise from the engine, this has become worse over some time. The garage have told her its something Hydraulic to do with the Cmas ? Im geussing Hydraulic Tappets ? sorry there is not much of a description, she is a bit dizzy bless her and this is all she could remember! They have quoted £400 for parts to fix unsure of labour on top, Does this seem a right price for the said parts ( if it is them?) she is just a bit worried and wanted to find out if this is a common problem ? I asssume if it is the vRS would also suffer ?

Any feedback would be great

Cheers

Edited by vrs james

could be the hydraulic chain tensioner for the chain that links the 2 camshafts together? the ones on the vvt version are about £300

although £400 sounds about right for a set of lifers for that car, there's 12 small ones for the intake side, and 8 large ones for the exhaust side and they are about £20 each

fwiw it's more likely to be oil pressure related

cheers guys, typical i said to her i need facts for thr forum, shes so dizzy its annoying, so what you are saying is although now a part needs replacing another factor i.e. oil pressure is whats causing/caused it so that is something that may need looking at ?