diesel fuel filter

Hello folks. I am getting into DIY maintenance on my Mk1 2.5 tdi. I cannot locate a diesel priming pump on the vehicle. Is there one, or is it a special vacuum tool I need to suck the fuel up from the tank to the filter, when the new filter is installed? Or do I have to pinch the feed line to stop diesel draining bank to the tank when removing the filter, or something like that? On my previous diesel cars it was a piece of cake, drop old filter, clean housing with swarf free paper, install new filter, prime system a few times, start the engine, job done. But I cannot suss this one. :dull:

Hello folks. I am getting into DIY maintenance on my Mk1 2.5 tdi. I cannot locate a diesel priming pump on the vehicle. Is there one, or is it a special vacuum tool I need to suck the fuel up from the tank to the filter, when the new filter is installed? Or do I have to pinch the feed line to stop diesel draining bank to the tank when removing the filter, or something like that? On my previous diesel cars it was a piece of cake, drop old filter, clean housing with swarf free paper, install new filter, prime system a few times, start the engine, job done. But I cannot suss this one. :dull:

Normally you can do the usual and then refill with fresh fuel, this in effect cuts out most of the air, and the filter will be fully filled within seconds.

Edited by Supurbia

You'll be extremely lucky to get the system to prime and purge after changing the filter. I usually have to bleed mine.

There are bleed screws on the filter top and on each injector (brass / copper coloured). Using an 8mm spanner get somebody to crank the motor whilst you open the bleed screw on the filter, only open it a fraction and have a rag wrapped around the screw to stop it spraying everwhere.

Once full crack open an injector at a time, whilst the engine is being cranked, on the bleed screw (rag wrapped around the injector), The right hand bank is a pain to get to but all in it should take no more than 5-10 mins. The injectors can be cracked off with a 17mm spanner on the main feed pipes.

Where the pipes goes from the filter to the pump (close to the back of the V on the left) a section of the line is clear, you're aiming to purge all the air from the system and can see it here.

Edited by Cledwen

It should not be necessary to vent the high pressure side of a VE fuel system when changing a fuel filter.

There are several ways of priming the LP side, including the use of the lift pump but whenever I change a diesel filter I simply apply vac to the filter outlet to pull the fuel through into it. A 1 litre Wanner oil gun used in reverse will completely fill a filter in 1 or 2 pulls - the engine then starts instantly.

rotodiesel.

It should not be necessary to vent the high pressure side of a VE fuel system when changing a fuel filter.

There are several ways of priming the LP side, including the use of the lift pump but whenever I change a diesel filter I simply apply vac to the filter outlet to pull the fuel through into it. A 1 litre Wanner oil gun used in reverse will completely fill a filter in 1 or 2 pulls - the engine then starts instantly.

rotodiesel.

Good suggestion, many thanks to all who replied.

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the post. I have a Fabia 1.9Sdi (W reg), I am trying to put a new fuel filter (it's a diesel running on B100 Biodiesel). Found the Thermostatic T or valve which has the two pipes coming and in out of it, is jammed on possibly the O-ring. Any bright ideas house to get it out, it's jammed solid and I'm worried by levering things I might break the plastic.

Thanks,

Nigel