Headgasket is gone.

PH68

Had problems with the coolant light coming on and coolant disappearing after a few days normal driving.

The car (TDi Elegance with 190K on the clock) was due for a service & stuff anyway, so it went into Skoda today.

The headgasket has gone.

:'(

Simple question... Is this normal?

It's also not a cheap job either!

But they'll sort it while doing the cam belt to keep some of the costs down.

... Is this normal?

There's no such thing as normal at 190k miles!

I've seen HGs fail at less than 100k, although the ones on this car are very strong and do last well.

Wouldn't have a HG and belt done at a dealer unless the price was very good - What are they asking?

You should also consider having the water pump changed whilst it's in bits.

Mine is currently in for a headgasket.... It's a 1.8 20v and the bill is nearing £1400 at the moment....... New head, Labour, Parts plus they had to skim the old head to pressure test it to tell me it was fooked.!!! Not good, Hope that yours isn't anything like that expensive.!!!!!

Got car back from the Skoda dealer yesterday.

They've replaced the headgasket, along with the cambelt &water pump (as they needed doing soon anyway).

My final bill was just over £700.

The Skoda mechanic reckons the engine "sounds as sweet as nut"... whatever that means.

Had a bit of a drive out & about today.

Everything seems fine.

I'm still hoping to get over 200K on the clock!

Edited by PH68

Got car back from the Skoda dealer yesterday.

They've replaced the headgasket, along with the cambelt &water pump (as they needed doing soon anyway).

My final bill was just over £700.

The Skoda mechanic reckons the engine "sounds as sweet as nut"... whatever that means.

Had a bit of a drive out & about today.

Everything seems fine.

I'm still hoping to get over 200K on the clock!

Our p38 rangerover N plate is on just over 300k buddy :) 2.5 DT lols BMW straight 6 .... oil change every 5k and itl last forever :)

Guest westallc

Mine is currently in for a headgasket.... It's a 1.8 20v and the bill is nearing £1400 at the moment....... New head, Labour, Parts plus they had to skim the old head to pressure test it to tell me it was fooked.!!! Not good, Hope that yours isn't anything like that expensive.!!!!!

wow they deffo saw you coming !!!!!!!!!!!!