Fuel Tank Capacity

I am assumming that all Octy II Fuel Tanks are the same size whether Petrol or Diesel, with a 55 Litre Capacity & 7 Litre Reserve.

Anyway forgot to fill up with Diesel before going in work today, and realisied on the way home up the M6.

Basically the Fuel Warning Light came on this morning and on leaving working I had a range of 60 Miles. Drove home from Telford to Warrington a trip of just under 75 Miles, noticed the range went to zero miles just before Knutsford Services but drove another 12 ish miles to local gargae on zero range. Fill up the Tank squeezing as much in as possible and still only managed to just get 55 Litres in.

According to the manual the fuel warning light comes on when you start using the reserve, so in theory I drove nearly 80 miles on the reserve tank, and still had 7 litres of fuel in :confused: The fuel gauge was passed the red all the way down by the way.

Was I just lucky or is it out by that much. Car did 60.5 MPG on the trip home BTW.

Car did 60.5 MPG on the trip home BTW.

60.5 MPG is a faily standard fuel consumption for the diesel..

I have just averaged 60.5 mpg from Brookmans Park to Portsmouth, partly cross country due to motorway blockages, in loan a 2.0 TDI. I was not hanging about either, 70 MPG on motorways and between 50 and 60 on the side roads

On a previous run, all on motorway, with my own 1.9 TDI trying for economy I got 69.0 mpg.

With my old ocky 1.9 TDI (110 bhp) I could easily achieve 70 MPG and anything below 60 MPG on a motorway was verry poor fuel consumption.

I am assumming that all Octy II Fuel Tanks are the same size whether Petrol or Diesel' date=' with a 55 Litre Capacity & 7 Litre Reserve.

Anyway forgot to fill up with Diesel before going in work today, and realisied on the way home up the M6.

Basically the Fuel Warning Light came on this morning and on leaving working I had a range of 60 Miles. Drove home from Telford to Warrington a trip of just under 75 Miles, noticed the range went to zero miles just before Knutsford Services but drove another 12 ish miles to local gargae on zero range. Fill up the Tank squeezing as much in as possible and still only managed to just get 55 Litres in.

According to the manual the fuel warning light comes on when you start using the reserve, so in theory I drove nearly 80 miles on the reserve tank, and still had 7 litres of fuel in :confused: The fuel gauge was passed the red all the way down by the way.

Was I just lucky or is it out by that much. Car did 60.5 MPG on the trip home BTW.[/quote']

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will :rolleyes: ), but isn't the fuel tank capacity 55 litres total? That is, at approx. 48 litres the low fuel warning light comes on.

If this is the case, and you got 55 litres in, you were almost running on fumes when you got to the garage.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will :rolleyes: ), but isn't the fuel tank capacity 55 litres total? That is, at approx. 48 litres the low fuel warning light comes on.

AFAIK, yes - the reserve tank isn't a physical tank...

Rob.

Doh !!!! :eek:

I was V lucky then, I thought the tanks had a total capacity of 62 Litres, for some reason 55 & 7 in reserve. Appreciate they are not seperate tanks.

Will take more notice in the future.