twanging noise.

mainspring

Evening all, got a horrible twanging noise on my wifes Fabia (1200) sounds like a spring unwinding.

It only happens with steering on full lock getting of the drive etc,----anyone any ideas?? cheers. :S

I think that the ABS on some VAG cars does a kind if 'self check' on itself, the Mrs's Beetle does it and my Bora used to do it,

when you drive off after a short distance it makes a kind of 'twang' noise that sounds like a spring 'boinging'. No doubt someone on here with more knowledge will correct me/or confirm this.

Lewwy

It sounds like one of the coil springs has snapped, it makes the twang as it moves about on the base of the strut, usually heard when going onto full lock and turning back again

+1 :thumbup:

Wot he said.

They normally snap right at the top, making it tricky to notice anything's wrong up there. This is a pretty common problem.

I had to replace them on my last Golf, and my Octy that I bought since has receipts that show it also had a set of front springs replaced.

I would recommend you replace the pair, along with the upper damper bearing (while it's all off anyway). It's an inexpensive job if you can do it yourself, but it is a bit of a PITA.

Evening all, got a horrible twanging noise on my wifes Fabia (1200) sounds like a spring unwinding.

It only happens with steering on full lock getting of the drive etc,----anyone any ideas?? cheers. :S

Pre-drive twanging... It's tuning up before going you the full performance... :)

I'll get my coat...

Speaking from experience, such remarks as the above one are not helpful when you've got a problem with your car, and only serve to antagonise - please keep flippancy to appropriate topics.

Thanks for all your replys , havn't had time to look at the car yet , just a quick look.

All I can see at the moment is the damper gaiter is hanging down inside the spring with a circular steel collar at the top----looks like it has come adrift from the top bearing,----it might even be part of the bearing,will remove the little blighter this weekend . cheers.