boot leak

jareid

Recently I have started to notice a small puddle of water around the bottom right area of the boot seal when the tailgait is opened.

Also there seems to be a surface covering on the right hand area of the seal near the 'notchback' area. Is this a sign the boot seal is on ots way out or is there something I am missing. There has been no damage to the vehicle I have owned it for 10 years, but this has developed this winter.

Do you mean in the boot or in the channel of the boot? Every time it rains if you open your boot the water goes straight in although I am sure you know this. You would be able to see if the rubber was perished. I would just take the seal off make sure its clean, I would think its probably a build up of dirt that's not allowing the water to escape. Make sure the back of the seal is clean as this is where the dirt collects. Then I would use some rubber lubricant to clean it.

Edited by OllieH

Took my Octy in for some work on the Tailgate Release Solenoid yesterday, &, in addition to fixing the original problem, it turned out there was also water collecting in the wheel well - nearly half full apparently due to a leaking seal - had wondered why there was so much condensation on the rear windscreen :o

new seal £25