Rear Door stuck shut HELP ?

As the title suggests the rear door on my new car will not open from the inside or outside.

Its a 2000 Octavia tdi.

None of the electric windows nor the central locking were working when i bought the car.

I have managed to get the door card off by undoing the torx with a needle nose which has revealed a second hand door with the usual paint pen labelling what the door is off.

I flicked the mechanism with a screwdriver but it appears to be deadlocked. when i unplugged the electric window circuit block the other three doors and windows work perfectly (the plug was full of water probably from sitting in the rain at the scrappy). i tryied the block off the passenger door and it still wouldn't unlock the door or work the windows.

anyone have a similar problem with a dead locked door? or a second hand door playing up with the original central locking system?

thanks Sean

anyone have a similar problem with a dead locked door?

Would it be any use having a poke around the other door to see how the deadlock is normally operated (and whether there's any way to override it)?

• 1 month later...

As the title suggests the rear door on my new car will not open from the inside or outside.

Its a 2000 Octavia tdi.

None of the electric windows nor the central locking were working when i bought the car.

I have managed to get the door card off by undoing the torx with a needle nose which has revealed a second hand door with the usual paint pen labelling what the door is off.

I flicked the mechanism with a screwdriver but it appears to be deadlocked. when i unplugged the electric window circuit block the other three doors and windows work perfectly (the plug was full of water probably from sitting in the rain at the scrappy). i tryied the block off the passenger door and it still wouldn't unlock the door or work the windows.

anyone have a similar problem with a dead locked door? or a second hand door playing up with the original central locking system?

thanks Sean

hey sean- how did you get on with it all?

ive just bought one with excatly the same issues- :( managed to remove the door card today (challenging..) had a good look at the latch mechanism, couldnt find anything obvious- moving all the levers etc had no effect.. ended up resigning myself to getting a new/sh unit and smashed the solonoid off and found the release lever and opened the door :yes: so its a case of phoning some scrappys tommorrow to try and get a new latch..

next issue is working out why i have absolutly no life in the central locking.. and then fix my n/s/f window (again no life..) oh and the water leak into the n/s/r footwell..

fun and games..

• 1 month later...

Hi there I seem to have the same problem, I have purchased a second hand lock mechanism but I aint had any look removing the door card!! What steps did you take?

I think you will need to pull back the drivers door seal, try to un-clip the plastic trim between front and rear seals, then prise the rear door seal off to expose the hex screws holding the door card on. The grab handle is in two parts, and once the front half is off there are a couple of screws to remove. Haynes manual would be useful.

oh and the water leak into the n/s/r footwell..

If the amount of water is close to swimming pool quantities in the rear nearside footwell is most likely caused by water coming via a grommet next to the pollen filter under the scuttle panel, or if just a small amount then maybe a door seal/membrane.