Strange Glowlight and stalling

Hi all,

I have a W reg 1.9tdi GLX engine code AGR, the weather up here has been really cold of late, over 1m of snow and the car is playing up! Typical.

Last night I came out of work and started the engine while I cleared the snow from the car. The engine was ticking over for no more than 2 minutes when it stumbled.

Thought it was a bit strange as it's never missed a beat in the 3 years I've owned it.

God was I wrong! It took 30 minutes to limp home as the glow plug light flashed and the stuttered and cut out twice, started first turn of the key after the stall.

The MPG computer was also playing up showing current consumption at 97mpg and average at 16.9mpg. I reset it via the stalk button and it read current consumption at 67.5mpg and average at 99.9mpg.

When I got home I plugged in the cheap ebay cable and fired up VAG-COM, faults below:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 1U - Skoda Octavia

Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,35,46,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine

Controller: 038 906 018 GM

Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 2162

Coding: 00002

Shop #: WSC 31480

3 Faults Found:

01282 - Intake Manifold Flap change-over Valve (N239)

31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

16989 - Internal control module rom error

P0605 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer

P1570 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate

Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes

Controller: 1J0 907 379 P

Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001

Coding: 03304

Shop #: WSC 31480

2 Faults Found:

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)

16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

01314 - Engine Control Module: No Communications

49-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

I knew about the ABS fault, working on it!!

Now I left the car ticking over on the drive while reading some blocks on VAG-COM, the engine stalled a further four times within 15min. Strange thing was after the stutter some of the glow plugs would turn on, all glow plugs checked at 2.1 ohms.

I cleared the faults and even after the car stuttering and stalling there were no new faults stored!!

One strange thing, when I was listening inside the emgine bay the boost solenoid valve thing (on the right above the gearbox) was chattering away. I couldn't find any leaky or broken vacuum pipes.

Has anybody seen this weird fault before??

Thanks,

Mark.

It could be a problem with the ECU Power Supply relay (AKA relay 109).

I had read about this causing various problems, I can hear a relay clicking like mad from the drivers seat so I'll replace it and let you know.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

Mark

Hmm, took relay 109 out and resoldered the dry joint (pictured here: http://www.hej456.com/109.html ) refitted and the car has the exact same fault.

I left the cover off the relay and noticed it wasn't opening when the car was stuttering! I traced the fault to relay 103, glowplug relay I believe. Removed this and resoldered it's pcb.

The car still has the same fault......... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I started the car and removed relay 103, runs fine and stutters less.

I am off to Skoda in the morning to buy two relays, a 103 and 109.

Anybody seen this fault before??

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Octavianewboy

OK, that's the original relay 109 that came with the car (it's black). They suffer from all kinds of problem. The new relay 109 will be grey. This kind of problem is not uncommon with relay 109. It may not open and close when a problem occurs - it is often dry joins, poor contacts or low contact pressure that cause an intermittant connection.

Did you clean the contacts?

Position 4 (bottom row, forth relay from left) is the glowplug relay and is usually numbered 103. It is controlled by the ECU and sometimes clicks like crazy when relay 109 malfunctions. It is a good idea in this case to replace relay 103 too as the contacts will be worn by all the switching.

My relay 109 was translucent, not grey or black, the link I supplied was just someone else that found the same problem.

Both relays and sockets have been tested with a multimeter and treated to a new can of contact cleaner. I have tested the coil resistance and contact resistance. All seems fine.

I am an elecronic engineer to trade so I should know what I'm doing... :giggle:

I will leave a reply once I get to my local Skoda dealer tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far.

Mark.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Got it, the fault was with both relays, 109 and 103. Both were much smaller than my faulty originals!

I managed to dig my Wife's car out of the snow and get myself over to Skoda for both relays, even managed a 10% discount :o

It was ticking over on the drive for 40 minutues tonight while I cleared 6inches of fresh snow. God I hate this white stuff!!

The M8 has been closed for 10 hours today, why oh why did I decide to take a holiday instrad, Doh!

Thanks for all af your help.

Mark.