Winter tyres, you rock!

I drive from Edinburgh to near Falkirk to get home, a trip that normally takes 45 minutes in good conditions. This afternoon the Edinburgh bypass was gridlocked, the M9 was closed and the M8 was down to one lane. Buses were scattered across every road with an incline, going nowhere.

Thanks to the winter tyres that I'd put off purchasing until last week, I managed to get home. I was able to avoid the main roads and make my way home via B roads and the villages. It was actually quite enjoyable, as I took things steadily, and always felt in control of my Octy. Most 4x4s seemed OK, although I did notice the older farmer's vehicles usually had winter tyres on too. I saw a couple of posh X5s and Lexus 4x4s with silly low profile tyres on struggling up hills. The only hairy moment I had was when I encountered a Vectra trying to get up a hill as I was going down. It was zig-zaging across the road as it tried to get traction. I pulled over as far away as I could until it got past!

The Octy coped brilliantly. Even with an auto box I only broke traction once. I didn't feel I needed 4wd, although if I'd got stuck, it may have helped. More ground clearance would have been useful in a couple of places, although the snow was fairly soft in-between the ridges. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed scraping my underside if there was more ice. If these winters continue, it may be a Scout or a Yeti next time :)

Thirded! Not had much snow down nr Swindon yet, but plenty of ice and freezing temps. Octy has never felt anything other than planted. Missus apparently got traction control light the other day on a steep, icy hill, but that's been it! Well impressed...