Headlight washer jamming

Searched around but can't find anything on this, hopefully someone has had the same problem?

The passenger side jet works fine, but the drivers side comes halfway out, sticks, doesn't spray and stays out until it's pushed back in by hand.

Is it a simple matter of swapping it with a spare or is it a garage job? and please tell me it's not going to cost too much.

Thanks!

or are simply frozen.

Replacing requires the removal of the front bumper. Not difficult but best if you have a helper and an old blanket to rest in on while swapping the washer out.

Had the same problem with mine last week,

One sticking fully out, and the other halfway. Left the car in the garage for a few hours, in + temperature, and they went back in automatically.

I Increased the amount of washer additive and haven't had the problem since, even though the temp fell to -12.

One sticking fully out, and the other halfway. Left the car in the garage for a few hours, in + temperature, and they went back in automatically.

same problem happened me last year, didn't know what it was until the sun came out the next few days and bingo back it went.

all you'd be thinking is nooooooooo how much is this going to cost now to repair......

Guest wilkopilko

Both of mine stuck out the other day too & blowing the 20amp fuse when I tried to use them (it was at night & the roads were really dirty, so every 4th wipe it went pear shaped so left the fuse out in the end). They are mechanically sprung so should go back in when thawed out, I poured a jug of warm water over mine when I got home which worked after a few minutes.

Edited by wilkopilko

I have similar problem with mine light washers. The one on the right side barely moves out and liquid from it just slowly leaks, while on the left one washer works perfectly - sprays with strong pressure like on the first day. I do not have any problems with low temperature outside, and washer liquid is regularly topped up, and it doesn't leak anywhere (apparently). Can you guys give me any piece of advice?

:swear: :moon:

It's freezing here in the UK, and the forcast is for much colder weather to come in the next few days!:rain:

So the fact it's not dropped below freezing for about 5 days in some parts of the UK has passed you by? where are you, Scotland? Sure it's going to get colder again but I'd say the few days of thaw we've had would be enough to remove any ice build up in washer jets.

I'll have a go at cleaning it at the weekend and we'll see what happens

It is not so good over here also, although temperature doesn't fall below 2 degrees celsius. Nevertheless, I will try to clean a right side washer and see what happens. Maybe it matters to mention that a skoda garage replaced my right headlight unit together with right front fog light (so they have removed a bumper also, and thus disconnected headlight wash system to do that). So I will try to see what's going on and why I'm not getting any propper pressure through the right side nozzles..... Thanks for replies guys.

• 2 weeks later...

i have just checked all the nozzles on the car. All of them perform fine, except the right front headlight washer, which just pops out without any water coming througt the nozzles. Liquid for that nozzle gets out somewhere inside the bumper and leaks below the car. A 10 % of that water comes out along shaft of the nozzle. Is it possible that a hose leading a liquid to the nozzle is loose and is it possible to repair without taking off bumper?

• 8 years later...
On 11/12/2010 at 17:32, mikeholroyd said:

The headlight washers come out of the bumper with water pressure. Not spraying, and not moving properly says to me that there is no water pressure to that jet. Check the pipe hasn't come off the nozzle, and that the supply pipe hasn't split following the recent cold weather. Does any washer fluid drip from underneath the front at that side when you try them?

Mike

@mikeholroyd

Sorry for reviewing a very old thread!

Do you need to remove the bumper to check the pipe hasn't come off the nozzle?