unleaded fuel

I know there are lots of threads on different fuel suppliers, but my question is has anybody done official rolling road tests comparing normal 95-RON to the equivalent Super brands on both standard vRS and modded vRS motors B)

This might help me to decide if it is purely placebo efect or it is smoother quicker etc. This will justify the extra fuel costs :thumbup:

I don't think there is any doubt over the advantages of using higher octane petrol in small knock-controlled turbocharged engines.

The standard map on the vRS is designed to run on 98RON fuel. Skoda document in the owners manual and workshop manual, that 95RON can be used in exceptional circumstances with reduced power output.

If you've run your car for a few tanks on say 99RON, and then chuck a tank of 95RON stuff in, the ECU will retard the timing automatically, which will cause a power reduction. How much power you actually lose I don't know, but you definately do lose power.

This is a nice explanation: http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=4005571&contentId=7009025

I know 5th Gear did a test a few years back to find out exactly what you're asking.

Here's some more good reading on the subject: http://www.fuelsaving.info/fuels.htm

R-Tech told me if I wanted the best numbers on the rollers from my remap to run Shell Optimax. I always run 99 ron as that's what's recommended. If I were to put some 95 in I doubt I would notice a difference as it gets diluted with whats already in there. I am pretty certain I get better MPG on 99 than 95.

99 octane definitely makes a difference. All you have to do is log ignition timing pull on 95 ron and then 99 ron.

Really easy to tell when customers are telling porkies about what fuel is in their car :D

On a vRS there can usually be a 10bhp difference between 95 and 99ron when mapping is taken into concideration.

Kev

Edited by Jabbasport