Duff glow plug(s)?

I have noticed during this very cold weather that my V6TDi (68k miles) is starting quite lumpy in the mornings and a bit more smoky than usual. It hasn't failed to start, the glow plug light is staying on longer as the outside temperature drops but I feel the engine is starting on maybe only 4 or 5 cylinders or so. Within a second or so of starting it all smooths out and normal 6 cylinder running is resumed. I had a new battery fitted in October, sounds like one or two glow plugs have gone down maybe?

I just had my 1.9 TDI 130 at the workshop for a routine service. 2 of the 4 plugs were dead, which was the reason i had some heavy starts in the morning. After the change it starts easier and more smoothly.

I have noticed during this very cold weather that my V6TDi (68k miles) is starting quite lumpy in the mornings and a bit more smoky than usual. It hasn't failed to start, the glow plug light is staying on longer as the outside temperature drops but I feel the engine is starting on maybe only 4 or 5 cylinders or so. Within a second or so of starting it all smooths out and normal 6 cylinder running is resumed. I had a new battery fitted in October, sounds like one or two glow plugs have gone down maybe?

Had the same issue with mine last winter, smoky start and coughing and spluttering until there was some heat in the cylinders.

You can check the plugs in situ if you have a multi tester.

Check the resistance (ohm rating) on each plug, they should all be around the same.

I had 4 that were ok (0.004 - 0.005), one was 0.814 and the other was open circuit (infinity) therefore duff.

Being the saddo that I am I replaced all 6 and normality was restored.

Give them a good soaking in penetrant before trying to remove as they are 10mm and can snap off (somebody on here ended up having to have their head(s) removed to fix a snapped plug.

The front nearside one is a bit difficult to get to as the inlet manifold is in the way but can be removed with the socket (deep 10mm) and a universal joint.

Just take your time

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky man! My bill was 2 grand after the blokes at the garage had a right good old go at it :doh:

That's why I took it to a Skoda dealer to have the job done, I was gambling that if a dealer screwed it up, they'd have to put it right. I am happy, all 6 plugs changed for £200 which is fair I think for a main dealer.

Six glow plugs £15 each plus VAT, so say £110 including VAT. Skoda allow 1.2 hours for glow plug change, so £200 - £110 = £90 divide by 1.2 = £75/hour which is about normal for a main dealer I believe. Besides, you've missed the point of this. I decided to go to a main dealer as an "insurance policy" in case of snapped off glow plugs. I don't mind the £200 bill for a single nano second.

Six glow plugs £15 each plus VAT, so say £110 including VAT. Skoda allow 1.2 hours for glow plug change, so £200 - £110 = £90 divide by 1.2 = £75/hour which is about normal for a main dealer I believe. Besides, you've missed the point of this. I decided to go to a main dealer as an "insurance policy" in case of snapped off glow plugs. I don't mind the £200 bill for a single nano second.

Very good thinking!

i would have had exactly the same approach if my dealer was a bit nearer. Did not fancy a day off work. In hindsight....

Sorry, I should have been less blunt in my response :giggle: . I completley understand why you did it, just im a complete tight arse when it comes to these sort of things unless its absolutley necessary, like spending 200 quidf or main dealer to break my back door open and replace the lock recentley. That "insurance policy" did pay off, as from what I gather, more things ended up being replaced that what I was originally billed for :thumbup: