Discs and Pads

Hello,

Can anyone please give some advice about the brakes on a 2003 vrs octavia.

I found these and was wondering if they were any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OCTAVIA-RS-FRONT-REAR-DRILLED-BRAKE-DISCS-MINTEX-PADS-/270676835264?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0598bbc0#ht_1416wt_1139

Any feedback would be great thanks.

I have had Mintex pads on my RS, and they were fine other than causing rear brake noise when reversing. They also generate quite a bit of dust.

It isn't clear what brand the discs are, and nor whether you really need to replace both front and rear discs and pads, as you may be better of just doing what needs to be done, but buying better quality.

Personally, i would buy the best you can afford. Fronts are more important than rears, and if i was buying new discs i would prefer to get ones that were grooved only (drilled can result in damaged discs) and also coated, as if you have a nice car with decent alloys, a rusting brake disc underneath spoils the look.

When it comes to pads there are quite a few threads on the same topic, but if you want good braking power AND low dust then EBC red stuff generally are well regarded, including by myself, but will quickly use up a chunk of your budget.

Good luck.

Guest westallc

they will be fine but i would not buy drilled discs they tend to crack

stick to groved only. spk to that company and they will supply you grooved only for the same price cheap as chips and work well

those pads will be fine unless you drive super hard and do track days then you will need ds2500 ( ebc pads are pants imo)

Edited by westallc