Water ingress to mirror blows convenience ECU

It may help another. Took many hours for dealer to diagnose issue. Water had caused connections at offside mirror to blow convenience ECU. All sorts of gremlins similar to water ingress at pollen filter. Symptoms also included blowing fuse 14 and

weird voltage at rear nearside door electrics. Skoda have agreed to cover ECU and most labour. I have to sort mirror.

Dealer has been fantastic.

So pleased managed to get to bottom of issue.

Yes it did. The original gremlin also included door ajar on display when doors all closed and central locking not working Fuse 14 blown. When fuse replaced ajar light and central locking worked but still no puddle light.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the bill through the post. Skoda Warranty covered the replacing of the ECU and an hours labour. I had to pay for fixing the electrical issue in the wing mirror. Along with fitting a new seal at the pollen filter (no water ingress but better safe than sorry), sorting a blown water bottle (unconnected - blew with frost) and the wing mirror cost me a total of £220. The work was carried out at Victoria Garage, Maud, Aberdeenshire and as always I have been so impressed with their service. They lost out with this job, having not passed the many hours they spent diagnosing the ECU issue on to me when warranty would not cover it all. First class.

How can you be "impressed" when VAG's stupid design caused all of this in the first place? I would be furious at having to spend £220 on a fault caused by water ingress of all things - does it never rain in Wolfsburg?

Toyota for me next time.

rotodiesel.

I appreciate your comment, but I was impressed with the dealership, not the design or warranty. This said, the water ingress was to the wing mirror, not a common fault by any means. I have searched and searched and not found anyone with a similar issue. The warranty advises they do not cover water ingress, but they did cover the convenience ECU. In all, I considered I got off a bit lightly. The dealership had the interior stripped out of the car for about a week and a half until they got to the root of the problem. An absolute nightmare, as they had to check everything. The voltages working with are so low, it is difficult to pinpoint.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with your Toyota (when not getting recalled).

Edited by dekevrs

Think this could be the issue with mine. I've got no puddle lights, interior lights and sometimes get the door ajar warning. Convenience unit is dry as a bone and all connections are bright and shiny.

As a matter of interest, how much was the part for the mirror? Was it a complete unit or just a circuit board?

Think this could be the issue with mine. I've got no puddle lights, interior lights and sometimes get the door ajar warning. Convenience unit is dry as a bone and all connections are bright and shiny.

As a matter of interest, how much was the part for the mirror? Was it a complete unit or just a circuit board?

The actual part was £40, albeit I was asked if I wished to replace the entire wing mirror unit which would have been £150. They advised that a common sense approach was to replace the affected part, which related to the puddle light.

It showed the initial signes of water ingree to conveneince ECU, but bone dry.