105 PD Noisy Startup

Our 105 PD has today developed a noise when the starter is running just a second before startup. The first time it did this it fired and then cut out instantly, once fired it runs perfectly. I started and stopped the engine probably half a dozen times and it seemed to make the noise / vibration on at least half of those occasions.

Its done 18k and is just over 3 yrs old, its on its original battery so my initial thought was maybe it wasn't delivering enough power to the starter. While its making the noise just before starting it sounds / feels fairly rough.

Any thoughts, obviosuly its out of warranty so I'd prefer a bit of DIY diagnosis / fixing before calling for the dealers help.

I certainly hope not, that sounds like an expensive job. Surely not after only 18k

I hope not as well, but mine went at 11000KMs, 6600 miles! Was done under warranty and I suspect that it was faulty from new.

Spoke to one of my local garages and he seemed to think it could well be a DMF problem. I asked him for a quick quote and the breakdown was as follows.

Flywheel - £335

Clutch plus odds and sods - £200

4 1/2 hours labour

Total cost £911.54

Sounded reasonable to me for that kind of a job. I questioned him on the reason why it might have gone after only 18k and he suspected it was due to the fact the car does 95% stop start short journeys.

I guess my only question now is exactly how desperate is it to get the job done, its only made this noise a few times and the other sympton he mentioned which was judder on set off is very marginal i would say.

Spoke to one of my local garages and he seemed to think it could well be a DMF problem. I asked him for a quick quote and the breakdown was as follows.

Flywheel - £335

Clutch plus odds and sods - £200

4 1/2 hours labour

Total cost £911.54

Sounded reasonable to me for that kind of a job. I questioned him on the reason why it might have gone after only 18k and he suspected it was due to the fact the car does 95% stop start short journeys.

I guess my only question now is exactly how desperate is it to get the job done, its only made this noise a few times and the other sympton he mentioned which was judder on set off is very marginal i would say.

OK mine was done in France but the garage replaced the dual mass with a single mass flywheel, I presume under instructions from Skoda France. They told me I should never have the same problem again. I must say the car felt slightly rougher after the change and we sold the car shortly afterwards having lost confidence in it.

Are you sure it's not just the starter motor not disengaging quickly enough when the motor fires up? Sometimes the grease can get a bit old and sticky and stops the pinion from sliding back and causes a terrible whiney screech.

Worth a try and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new DMF etc etc.

Are you sure it's not just the starter motor not disengaging quickly enough when the motor fires up? Sometimes the grease can get a bit old and sticky and stops the pinion from sliding back and causes a terrible whiney screech.

Worth a try and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new DMF etc etc.

You might have a point there. Did seem a bit odd that this problem suddenly started yesterday and prior to that i have had no other flywheel related symptoms that other people have mentioned on here. The clutch biting point seems exactly the same as its always been and the car doesn't suffer from any other vibration i wouldn't put down to the fact that its a smoker and is just normal operation.

I wouldn't say the 105PD engine has ever been smooth