Intermittent power problems on Fabia TDI

Edge

Help please. I have a 2001 51 plate Fabia Elegance TDI. Bought July 2010 with full service history. It was driven hard on Monday in torrential rain and now I seem to be suffering power problems. The car starts fine, pulls away fine but doesn't accelerate as it should bearing in mind it's a turbo. Tonight going up a slight incline it was really sluggish then surged forward and behaved normally. Don't think it's the cold as it has been fine up to now. Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be? Can't tell from the service book when the fuel filter was last changed. Air filter replaced Jan 2010. I am not a mechanic so haven't a clue and wanted to get an idea before I put the car in the hands of an expensive main dealer.

Edited by Edge

You need to get it checked for any codes stored in the engine control unit. A new fuel filter would be a start if the old one is of an indeterminate age. The last one I saw with a running problem was dropping onto 3 cylinders, you could see the engine shaking whilst ticking over, the glow plug light was on and the fault was with the fuel injector wiring loom.

You need to get it checked for any codes stored in the engine control unit. A new fuel filter would be a start if the old one is of an indeterminate age. The last one I saw with a running problem was dropping onto 3 cylinders, you could see the engine shaking whilst ticking over, the glow plug light was on and the fault was with the fuel injector wiring loom.

Thanks Fordfan. There are no lights on and the glow plugs come on and go out immediately when starting. The only thing I noticed was that there was a "beep" but no lights showing when driving. However, the "insp" message keeps appearing. Will have to bite the bullet and put the car in as you suggest and hope it's not horrendously expensive. Good old Barclaycard!