New Fabia SDI owner

Bikerz

Hi all

Managed to pick up a 2003 SDI classic as a daily with only 35k on the clock.

The heater has a mind of its own, I have a/c which doesnt work, but even when set to cool I get really hot air out, this common? Anyone know the fix?

What is PCD and Center bore? 4 x100?

Do the VRS seats go straight in?

Does the VRS suspension go straight on?

Does the VRS brakes go straight on?

Im getting 61mpg is that about right?

As I said this is a perfect daily for me, I have a 500+bhp Audi TT mk1 as my Track and road toy! (Pics will follow)

Cheers

Sheldon

Heater - either stuck flaps (do a search, common issue) or maybe the temp sensor in the cabin is dodgy, but I'd suspect the flaps. A/C won't engauge below 4/5oc anyway. To clean the temp sensor - it's by the A/C button in a grille on the left (I think) - either hoover it out, or remove the facia and clean that way.

Seats - yes.

Suspension - should fit, although weights (and rates) might be wrong.

Brakes - need the vRS (or 2.0?) hubs, then yes (I think). If you're getting the hubs, may as well get the 312s off the TT, Octavia vRS etc anyway really. Doubt it'll cost much over the 288s.

TT sounds impressive! Bit of a step down getting into and SDi I bet! :rofl:

Edited by TriggerFish

Cheers guys!

Brakes I have my 312mm TT brakes in garage (Shes running GT2 6 pots now) in garage so VRS hubs on look out for on ebay!

Is the TDI worth getting over a SDI realistically? Or is teh SDI better on fuel?

Where is the VAG port? OBD port? Vag Com?

Shame about wheels as Mrs is a wheel wore and have loads of 4 x 100 lying around in loft and garage!

Ive never owned a car thats this bad at going round corners or stoping, but Ive also never owned a car this amazing on fuel! I need this as running TT is now a joke to run!

Cheers for all your help guys/gals, Im sure I will be asking many more stupid questions in the future.

Edited by Bikerz

You're welcome. :)

Hubs are meant to be quite hard to find - I'd check scrap yards too for write offs. Handy about keeping the old 312s, shows the merits hoarding! (Doesn't stop my parents moaning about my 'rubbish' filling their loft mind!)

As you've got an SDi, I'd stick with it if you can live the speed. Cost of change taken into account, doubt it'll be cheaper to run, and more to go wrong too. That said, I think the SDi is more frugal anyway.

OBD port is on the right of the steering wheel - there's a cubby hole thing. If you pull that down to open it, and then pull down again, it'll reveal the port.

Could always get some 4x100 - 5x100 adaptors?

Out of interest, where'd you get it from? My neighbour sold an equally low mileage 2002/2003 SDi Classic on Saturday in Aylesbury. Locked herself out in the process too!

That was ME! I came and borrowed the thing off you while you changed brakes on rear of your polo gti!

Il stick with SDI then and try not to spend too much on her as she is my daily to keep my costs down! I have some 5x100 wheels for TT but they are 18's (to clear brakes) which are too big for fabia! They are too big for TT really and trying to get 17" slicks over with smaller disk but still on the GT2 calipers, 334mm disks.

Aha! Small world ey! I think tried to change would be a better statement! Got them finished on Sunday in the end! Having man flu didn't help either. :thumbdown:

Those are some huge disks on that thing too! Is it red with a black roof? As I keep seeing a modded TT on my way to uni. . .

The Clio with you looked nice too - always liked them.

My TT is red with a RIDE ME as number plate. You wont see her much as shes on stands at my old mans as I have gone to uni to do motorsport engineering (I used to be a spaky). I come from gloucestershire but at Swansea uni.

Stock disks on GT2 calipers range from 360mm or 380mm I belive! I think I can squeese them with 334mm disks under light weight 17's, but need to pinch some to test fit before I buy.

Clio 182 is a my best mates as his daily, he runs a ZR as his track toy.

The TT is Caged, harnesses and Pole positions Il create a newbie post and put some pics in there for u all to see.

The Mrs drives a 1.7sdi lupo that I have fitted 256mm disks up front and gti rears (so same as yours) with no abs it sure is fun. I have to do disks and pads this weekend for her on that, Im hoping I can do the lot in an hour!

I used to drive a Lupo GTI that won ultimate dubs in 2006! (That had 280's on front)

Front.jpg

Ah, fair enough - not your TT I see then.

380mm is insane! I'd be pleased with some 2 pot Girling 60's off the old RS2s really!

TT sounds pretty serious then!

I find the brakes on the Polo (and I'd guess the same on the Lupo) crap, basically. Really spongy with huge travel, wondering if a better master cylinder would fix it . . .

Guessing you know this - but you need a rewind tool for the rear callipers (where we got stuck), as it doesn't go in with a clamp, and twisting with pliers doesn't work. Fronts were easy enough to do even for someone as clueless as me as they don't need the tool. :S If you're still in the area and need one, drop me a PM and you can borrow my one.

Lupo looks lovely - would have got one of those instead of a Polo, but would be filling it up twice a week and need space for passengers. Shame, as I've come to prefer them to the Polos!

Yeah I have a rewind tool mate. Ive had Lupo Sport, Lupo GTI, Lupo SDI, Audi TT, Passat TDI 140, Roco 1.4TSI. Also ride a Honda CB1300 (0-62mph in 2.8sec)!

I like the 256mm brakes, the 280mm is a clear upgrade tho instantly noticing difference. Done a newbie post with TT now.

I like the white wheel on Red car look!

Edited by Bikerz

Cool, assumed you would, but thought I'd offer! That's a pretty decent list for a 23 y/o! All I've had is a 1.2 Punto, a Fabia and now the Polo.

That TT looks, and sounds, awesome! Bet that must fly!

Cheers, they're just on there for winter, got the standard BBS splits in the garage still.