how to drive VRS for greatest economy

wilsy7

I've got the short box.

Sometimes, down long soft hills i'll pop into 5th @ 30 because the hill makes it much less of a labor. I'm still trying to work out if this makes much difference. you HAVE to be ready to go back into 3rd of 4th though.

Something I've learnt is if you get stuck in a rut of being obsessed with MPG the MPG's will drop. you do need to get the revs up over 3k once a month or more, or so, a few times in a single day maybe to clear out the crud. After I've had a blow out the MPG's always jump up the next day.

Don't forget the weather isn't on your side at the minute. the last couple of days have been quite mild down here and the MPG's been reported as notably higher. Seeing 60 as I get to work instead of 54. (which is a bit over the true MPG, the MPG in my sig is the last 12months average calculated by fuel bought and miles covered.).

Edited by Rob.

Mine i sone of the really early ASZ engine with the very long 6th and my driving style is a little different. If i'm on an A-road i'll stick to 5th - only use 6th on the motorway ot over 60mph.

Plus the best tip for economical driving is leave plenty of room between you and the car infront - judge things early and never use the brakes - always just ease off and slow down. Quite easy to do - manage the 17 mile drive to work without once touching the brakes! :)

A Lot coming from a ZR giving 26 mpg ;)

Just using the fuel in expansion tank, gauge has started to move now on 220 miles. :)

Ah OK fair enough! The fuel gauge never moves for 130-150 miles on mine, so that plus 100 odd for the expansion tank sounds about right. Gotta love economy AND performance B)