Suzuki Owner in peace looking for feedback on Roomster

Smiffy42

Dear All

I am a longstanding Suzuki Ignis Sport owner of 5+ years but the time has come to get something a little bigger/more flexible. I think I have narrowed this down to the Roomster but thought I would ask people's opinions before I take the next step and acquire one.

I want to try and keep the best aspects of the Ignis, it's quirky, not mainstream, drivers car, flexible to use, reliable and cheap to run. Does this sound like your Roomster?

Also want flexibility to put four people and two dogs in the car? I am wondering which model to go for? My thinking is the 1.9D and then carry out some basic tweaks to add a little more driving enjoyment ie ECU remap, lower the suspension, perhaps a sportier exhaust. No I am not a teenager, just like making the car go and stand out a little. I assume that it is reasonably easy to change parts on the Roomster once you have found out which part of the VAG parts bin the part is from? ie suspension from a polo/golf?

Thanks in anticipation of any feedback

Richard

Your description surely sounds like a Roomster to me.

the 1,9D is no longer available in new Roomsters, it has been replaced with a 1.6 TDI with more or less the same spec. If you don't need the diesel because of of high mileage/towing I suggest you also take a look at the 1.2 TSI 105 petrol version. And don't let the lack of displacement scare you, the engine is more than adequate for the bigger and heavier Yeti as well, so it is a blast in the Roomster.

If you are looking for a second hand I can very much recommend the 1,9 TDI. It's quite fun to drive even as stock, and quite cheap to run as well - except in Finland were we need to pay extra tax for any car that is not mainly petrol-driven. We were getting around 50 mpg in mostly urban commuting, any A-road stretch we were getting between 55 and 60 mpg.

I reviewed the Ignis Sport as a new car - see http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_2295/article.html

As the owner of a 1.9 TDi Roomster, with about 20 per cent more than std power, there is no way in the world that the Roomster is anything like the "driver's car" of the Ignis Sport.

No way at all.

In everything else I can quickly think of, it is much superior.

Depends on how hard you like to drive.

Edited by Julian Edgar

I reviewed the Ignis Sport as a new car - see http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_2295/article.html

As the owner of a 1.9 TDi Roomster, with about 20 per cent more than std power, there is no way in the world that the Roomster is anything like the "driver's car" of the Ignis Sport.

No way at all.

In everything else I can quickly think of, it is much superior.

Depends on how hard you like to drive.

True, the Ignis is fun around B roads, but the low gearing and need for revs made the one I tried a chore on anything approaching an A road or motorway. I suspect the "tweaked" Roomie has a lot more in-gear thrust as well. Fun, but only in a limited way.

Apparently an upgraded rear anti-roll bar sharpens up the handling quite a bit on the Roomie and makes it quite a serious Q car on a back road too.

A driver's car it is not. But the Roomster handles better than one would expect. Should you tweak the suspension a bit, it might get a lot better still.

I drive the 1.9 TDI with a bit of chiptuning added, thus making this a reliable, comfortable car which is faster than most think. Being a bit biased though, I would definitely recommend this car.

As far as parts are concerned, most of it is VW, so easily available.

ps) do me one favor. Change the horn.

Dear All

Huge thanks for the detailed and honest responses. I appreciate the Roomster is unlikely to be as much of a drivers car as the Ignis Sport but that is almost certainly the compromise I'll have to make for more space/flexibility. Seems like with some small mods (antiroll bar and chipped) the car will be a rewarding drive anyway.

If anyone has links to "Fluffmeister" car I would appreciate it as I have searched but to no avail.

@Roomsterboy, I promise to change the horn! In fact the Ignis horn has always been an embarrassment too, who do manufactures skimp so much on the horns LOL So Dukes of Hazzard General Lee Dixieland horn here I come :rofl:

Thanks again guys, one thing this exercise has proven too that the Roomster engenders similar passion/pride/support for the car as the Ignis Sport community. A valued asset to any car IMHO.

Richard