Daft question #2

Rab-k

The joys of a new car...

SWMBO drove home yesterday and complained of a stench of burning rubber when she parked the car. (No comments of a dubious nature please...).

Sure enough, a peek under the bonnet confirmed there was indeed a stench of burning rubber. What I also noted was the tremendous heat coming from the rear of the engine; exhaust manifold area.

I took the car out for a spin later and same thing again: toasty rubber smell and the furnace like heat from the back of the engine. There were a few clunks and ticks from the engine whilst I had the bonnet up, as though very hot parts were cooling down; never had this happen on any previous occasion its been driven.

Before I embarrass myself at the 'stealer', I thought I'd do so here.

Could it be the DPF kicking in, and the rubber smell is just coming off the new hoses? (The smell of burning rubber likely dissipating over time once its done a few cycles of this?)

Ideas anyone?