Three Cylinders!

Hi all,

I thought I would update you all on where we are now. The car has been into a Skoda Garage in Broxburn and we have a resolution which seems to not be connected to anything that has been mentioned in the thread or by any of the mechanics who have already looked at the car!! It has cost a wee bit but a lot less than replacement of the car that is for sure.

The garage did a fault check on the old girl and found two issues related to the cyclinder missfire (which I don't get at all but maybe you guys do?)...anyway they replaced the vacuum hoses because they were split and now the car seems to be running as it should do though they said it might still have an occassional missfire...it cost like £5 for the part!! Does that make sense to anyone at all? To totally fix the problem they did also find a fault with the 'ignition control mudule' and said this needs replaced but at £218 fitted I am a bit concerned at the outlay if the car is running OK...any thoughts at all? Does that sound like a logical fix and cost??

Also in their car check they said that the coolant is the wrong type and needs replaced as it is the wrong viscosity and might be causing another fault code?? Should I get that sorted out do you think as the coolant hasn't been changed or added to in years and years? And fianlly that the alternator belt is splitting and needs replaced (£82.80)...any thoughts on any of this as making any sense woudl be great.

Again thanks for your input so far!

RJ

The ignition control module is the thing on the airbox lid I mentioned earlier. It's only on the early octavias.

As for the alternator belt, you can get one for £12 http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=624

Easy to change, all you need is a spanner and a drill bit. Takes about 5 minutes.

And I wouldn't have thought wrong coolant could cause a fault code. What colour is the stuff which is in?

Glad you're sorted though! :thumbup:

Sorry yes you did and it look like you hit the spot as this does seem to be a linked issue - still not sure why the fixed vacuum hoses would make cylinders work but then I know nothing so maybe it does make sense! At least the thing you noted was mentioned but do you know if the price is right at over £200 fitted or it something that can be done for less - do you know the cost of the part at all?

£12 for the alternator belt is great and if I can do it myslef all the better too - it would be good to get some guide to what I need to do if one exists anywhere?

Thanks for your comments thus far it is a great help!

RJ

Oh right that is different. I have seen a pile of these sort of things on ebay but none of them look quite like that one - they are a bit bigger though same say they shoudl fit my car bit they do look bulkier than this one above!

I maybe need to get the part number to be sure as most of the ebayers say it is best to use that to get the right one - just a bit dark to do that now!

Thanks so much for your help at least I can see it looks different to the ones I have seen - where did you get the pick from? Is there some threads on this issue soemwhere else?

Ta

RJ

Just found the pic on google. Searched for VW ignition power stage or sommat like that. Apparently they're quite common on the big Audis and Passats etc. Not sure how much they are to buy though.