Changing the "dog bone"

Zby

Sorry mates, I have no idea what it's called in English :-)

I'm talking about this:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9443/stabilisatorstag6lq.jpg

The Danish MOT inspector said that I should change the right one soon. As far as I can read, the right one generally wears out faster than the left one.

Should I change them both at the same time, or rather save some money?

Guest BigJase88

thats not the dog bone thats a drop link! connects suspension strut to front anti roll bar :thumbup:

dog bone is the rear gearbox engine mount :thumbup:

Well the direct translation from Danish is a dog bone, so in lack of better words :-)

Anyhow, what's on the picture is what I need to change, should I do both while it's at the garage? The left side looks fine the inspector said.

Almost everything that's broken on my fabia has broken down in pairs within short time intervals, i.e. within a thousand miles the same part on both sides have gone. These were parts such as the drop links (of course,)front wheel bearings, bushings, front springs, rear wheel cylinders, etc etc etc.

When one of the drop links broke the second time, i ordered a pair from eBay, was only about 15 gbp for both, including shipping to Sweden. Since the original ones are bound to break within a few years you might as well order non originals and replace both at a fraction of the price.

It's definitely an DIY job.

Edited by Antan

Thanks, yeah I guess I should just have both done at the same time then.

Well, as I have no practial experience with car repairs as such, and have no space to get it on a lift here in Copenhagen, it will be a job for Mekonomen in Malmö. Should be approx half the price of my local garage in Copenhagen charges :-)

Can you do it yourself? You don't need a lift. A car jack (and supports such as a few blocks in case it fails) is all you need . Do one side at a time. One spanner is all you need and there is no need for any adjustment. Basically a drop link is a rod with a swivel joint (like a track rod end) at each end. Spanner size is usually 16mm to take off the old and 17mm for the new ones. You just jack up the car, remove the wheel, unbolt the old one and fit the new one. Half an hour for both sides.