Engine vibrating and skeaqy sounds from pulley

mp7125

Hi yesterday night I notice a strange noise from the front. I had a look this morning with the bonnet open and car engine was vibrating and a squeaky sound coming from one of the pulleys. I hope it nothing serious but I'm fearing the worse. The car is coming up to 80K but service not due till another 10k approx. Any ideas anybody?

Edited by mp7125

Hi yesterday night I notice a strange noise from the front. I had a look this morning with the bonnet open and car engine was vibrating and a squeaky sound coming from one of the pulleys. I hope it nothing serious but I'm fearing the worse. The car is coming up to 80K but service not due till another 10k approx. Any ideas anybody?

Which pulley was squeaking? If the pulley is on its way out and it seizes it can cause massive problems. When was the cambelt/pulleys/tensioners/water pump last changed?

Which pulley was squeaking? If the pulley is on its way out and it seizes it can cause massive problems. When was the cambelt/pulleys/tensioners/water pump last changed?

I'll have to have another look and see if it's possible to isolate the pulley where the sound is coming from. The cambelt, pulleys etc were all changed July 2009.

It will be either the alternator,power steering pump or tensioner doing it, the best way is to get some WD40 and using the straw squirt the tensioner pulley first, just a little bit you wanna hear it shut straight up, if it doesn't move onto the other two but try to keep it off the belt, if you need to clean up later use talc to absorb the oil then jet wash it all off with cold water, sometimes a simple jetwash cures it anyway if it's a bit of much trapped in the pulley.

It will be either the alternator,power steering pump or tensioner doing it, the best way is to get some WD40 and using the straw squirt the tensioner pulley first, just a little bit you wanna hear it shut straight up, if it doesn't move onto the other two but try to keep it off the belt, if you need to clean up later use talc to absorb the oil then jet wash it all off with cold water, sometimes a simple jetwash cures it anyway if it's a bit of much trapped in the pulley.

Thanks for the responses so far. It looks like the alternator belt is loose/slack, and its worse as the engine warms up and when you put full lock on wheels. I'll have to get it down to local to check alternator. Will update on outcome.

All sorted. It was the alternator pulley which had become faulty - apparently a common problem as they operate as a one-way clutch. New part and labour £75, so didn't sound like a huge job.

Edited by mp7125