vRS TSI whistling noise?

Had my VRS TSI a week now and nearly done 1k miles already and I have noticed that when I leave the engine running after a long run that there is a high pitch whistling noise coming from the engine. Not really loud but sufficiently enough for me to notice it. It doesn't make the sound when started from cold or after I switched the engine off and on again after it had been doing it.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any idea what it is?

I had a revo remap done on about 140 miles.

Turbo, I had a Fabia vRS and it used to do exactly the same thing, come to a halt and all is "quiet" then after a few seconds the high pitched whstling would start, not intrusive but noticeable, that did over 30,000 trouble free miles in my hands so I wouldn't worry, I think a valve opens in the intake trunking and causes it start whistling.

Ian

Have just noticed it also does it after a short run, 10 mins or so, enough to get engine up to temperature.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just mine?

Does it do it if you put the car to Stock?

Don't know and without a trip back to Awesome GTI it's going to be difficult to find out.

Where are you located?

Im up north this weekend and have an SPS switch. So can reset to stock and see. You will need to phone Awesome though to find out what settings it's on now. Or failing that i can get them by plugging the laptop in.

Where are you located?

Im up north this weekend and have an SPS switch. So can reset to stock and see. You will need to phone Awesome though to find out what settings it's on now. Or failing that i can get them by plugging the laptop in.

That's really kind of you mate but I'm away this weekend but thanks anyway :thumbup:

It seems to be a common issue though from a bit of searching around on here and other forums.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/189083-whistling-from-engine/page__p__2259238__hl__whistling__fromsearch__1#entry2259238

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5075603-Really-really-high-pitched-whine-in-engine-compartment

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6245

This you tube video of it is just the same as mine:

Edited by Guest

Seems like it's louder on the left hand side.

Doesn't make the noise when cold?

High pitched whining noise.

Only thing i can think of that would match that is the EVAP system, the black vertical cuboid on the left with rubber hose out the top.

EVAP will only trigger under certain conditions, i'm sure one of them is you need to be at or near idle speed. Does it go away on full throttle?

I'm pretty sure i needs the engine in closed loop mode also, try popping the maf connector off - that'll force the engine into open loop. Does the noise go away?

The PCV is a valve that separated oil from the vapour in the crankcase. It then fed the excess air back into the intake manifold and the oil back into the crankcase. They could be a bit temperamental on the TFSI but the TSI has a revised design as far as I know. :)

I've not noticed it lately but then haven't done any long journeys so haven't left it running at idle. dealer reckons it goes away after around 2k miles so we shall see.

Got car back from dealer today. Booked car in for morning and it was making the noise. Drove car with service dept. He could hear it. Left car with them last 2 days could not recreate whistle. I have it back 30 mins and this is video I took. I feel like I have tinitus in car. I can't drive this 2000 miles with that noise.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting old thread to see if anything more emerged on this in the last 18 months. I've noticed the same 'singing' noise on my recently acquired petrol vRS estate (only 350 miles so far - still very new). To me it sounds like the resonance electrical equipment sometimes generates. When I turn the engine off the sound continues for 5 or 10 seconds as all the electronically controlled engine management stuff shuts itself down. At first I thought it was an air leak somewhere.

Everything works fine, great car, but if you're sat in traffic it can start to niggle away on those 'delicate' Monday mornings especially!

Just curious to know what the origin is.