Slight knock when pulling away/releasing clutch

Hi Guys,

Ive just bought a 2006 TFSI VRS and it has a small knock when pulling away or if i sit with the handbrake on and bite the clutch abit. I put this down to engine mounts and in peticular the gearbox mount as i think its the most common. I picked up a genuine replacement from Skoda today and fitted it this evening. I then test drove the car but the knock is still apparent although i think its slightly less but the car does feel tighter on/off throttle and gearchange so i think im on the right road. I have also had some powerflex lower engine mounts delivered the small ones and the big insert. I rocked the engine from underneath and it does seem to more quite easily so i hope the torque arm bushes will cure the knock. Do you think i'm rigt or are there any other things you think i should be checking? I was pushed for time tonight so didnt really fancy doing the gearbox and the torque arm bushes but i did have a look at the torque arm and i'm not sure how it comes off as it seems to thread through the subframe. Can someone tell me how it comes off please?

Thanks in advance

Jon.

wow! are you driving my car??

i have had this for a couple of months and it has been inspected by three diff mechanics who cannot find the fault.

i posted a topic 'have i bought a dog' yesterday and there have been a couple of replies. may be worth a look.

the sound i get can only be described as a clunk when you accelerate. if you get to the bottom of it i would be interested

I'm replacing my dogbone mounts with powerflex ones next week hopefully. I have a similar noise, like when creeping in slow traffic as soon as the clutch is depressed i get a slight knock/clunk sound as though there is a bit of slack somewhere in the drivechain. Its a common problem that's been discussed on VW Golf forums quite a bit but I can't seem any 100% cures or definate answers.

I'm fitting the powerflex Torque arm insert and bush, and I'm also chasing a noise coming from the suspension whilst going over speedbumps (creaking) so I'm replacing my wishbone bushes for Superpro ones.

I'll let you know how I get on.

After that it's, anti roll bar bushes and new engine mounts if the above doesn't cure it.

Anyone got any updates,vrs777?

I fitted the powerflex torque arm insert and its still the same. So im down to the cambelt side engine mount or something else altogether. Could this noise be antiroll bar knocking or do you think i would get it more often?

Cheers

Jon.

Anyone got any updates,vrs777?

I fitted the powerflex torque arm insert and its still the same. So im down to the cambelt side engine mount or something else altogether. Could this noise be antiroll bar knocking or do you think i would get it more often?

Cheers

Jon.

No joy getting my parts fitted, hopefully next week. It's not antiroll bar bushes though as I can hear the noise when stationery just by depressing the clutch pedal I get a click/clunk noise. I also get a similar noise when coming Sharp off the throttle in first gear, so now thinking engine mounts for this noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my torque arm insert fitted along with the super pro bushes (cured my creaking suspension) - the knocking, clunking is better but still not 100% cured.

My thought now after reading a bit more about it is that it is the engine mounts (2 remaining ones). The sound can be heard even without depressing the clutch, just backing off the throttle in 1st and 2nd will produce the sound. personally now though I can live with it as its much much less pronounced with the powerflex torque arm insert and bush kit.