Turbo whine

Last few days i have noticed a short lived whine in low revs. Usually occurs around 1500 for a second but goes away as the revs goes up.

If i let foot off the pedal it does it again as revs drop at around 1500 again. Only seems to do it in neutral, frist and second. Def seems turbo related.

Any ideas would be much appreciated please?

Edited by deathhead

It is remapped and it does whistle but this is more of a high pitched whine at 1500 that never happened before.

Also does it as revs drop back down past 1500.

EXACTLY what mine does, its normal tho :thumbup: my turbo has only 6k on it so unlikely to be going, it better not be!! LOL no seriously tho mine does the exact same thing, doesnt do it accelerating, just on very light acceleration and coming of the accelerated lightly. ps where did you get the car mapped as im looking to get mine done too? not too many places to go over here tho :( what power/torque you running and how long has it been mapped etc

cheers

jordan

Mine has done it since the remap, but only if I'm stationary for a few mins. As soon as I blip the throttle it stops. Can barely hear it other than that. I'm assuming it the turbo.

Pretty common, there's been a few threads about it. Mine does it and I was worried, but the turbo was off and inspected by a Turbo place and there was nothing wrong with it. I think you just have to worry if it starts sounding like a police siren.

Mine has done it since the remap, but only if I'm stationary for a few mins. As soon as I blip the throttle it stops. Can barely hear it other than that. I'm assuming it the turbo.

mine does this too but mine isnt mapped

Cheers for the replies!

@ Wilsy. The map was done at autotune in Ballymena in 2007. It has been mapped for over 40k now. 169 bhp / 277 lb. Everything else still standard.

The whistle from the turbo does sound a bit police sireny aswell as whiney but can only be heard up to 3rd gear. Not sure if thats because the engine/road noise is drowning it out or it actually stops. It is quite loud when it can be heard though.

Doesnt seem to be overly smokey and still pulls well enough up the revs. Does seem a bit dead in 1st and 2nd. Is this normal?

Not really enjoying the car at the moment as im anxious its gonna go pop :(

Cheers for the replies!

@ Wilsy. The map was done at autotune in Ballymena in 2007. It has been mapped for over 40k now. 169 bhp / 277 lb. Everything else still standard.

The whistle from the turbo does sound a bit police sireny aswell as whiney but can only be heard up to 3rd gear. Not sure if thats because the engine/road noise is drowning it out or it actually stops. It is quite loud when it can be heard though.

Doesnt seem to be overly smokey and still pulls well enough up the revs. Does seem a bit dead in 1st and 2nd. Is this normal?

Not really enjoying the car at the moment as im anxious its gonna go pop :(

im considering autotune and torque tronix atm, if its going a bit police siren it is more than lilely on its way out :( thats my main worry about a remap :(

When I referred to a police siren I wasn't that clear. I mean it will sound like there's actually a siren on the front of the car, properly loud. There's a video of it somewhere online and it put my mind at ease. There just seems to be a bunch of turbos that make a little whine.

Got a vid on my phone but can't locate the usb cable to upload it.

From comparing mine and the vid above it does sound similar but not just as bad.

Worst thing is i cant afford to get it replaced for a month or two and havent really much choice but to drive it a few times a week :'(

Edited by deathhead

Thought id add a bit more info and see what you all reckon.

When cold the whine from the engine/turbo is pretty loud. When taken for a drive and warmed up the whine is still evident but nowhere near as bad.

Also noticed some oil around the intercooler if this would in anyway indicate a blown turbo or source of whine.

I have started saving for a new turbo but was kinda hoping someone would come up with another possible cause in the meantime :p

Edited by deathhead

This vid here above is pretty much how mine sounds. Especially when cold.

It only does this up until just after 2000 rpm in neutral, 1st and 2nd but doesnt seem to do it well up the revs or else it cant be heard with engine/road noise. Def isnt just as bad when car is warmed up either but still noticeable.

Couple more questions.

Will a turbo from a blt fit my asz engine? If not, is it much expense to get it to fit.

And is the car safe enough to drive on short journeys with the way it sounds until turbo is replaced. Its been making that noise for a couple of weeks. Car isnt smokey at all and still pulls well up the revs.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Right so got the car sorted.

Ended up the turbo is seemingly fine.

When the mechanic first heard it, his initial thought was indeed blade damage or play in the shaft the whine was that bad. Sounded just like the car above. Got a phone call awhile later to hear that all was wrong was everything needed a damn good cleaning out.

Whine is now gone to be replaced by the slight turbo whistle it had before and car feels the best it has since ive owned it.

:rock: