Anyone have access to a proper console bush fitting tool?

Basically, as I have access to a machine shop I was going to make up a proper console bush tool. Don't suppose anyone has access to one to get me either a basic dimensioned drawing/photos? If I get some info I could probably make up a few for members if needed...

Yeah I just resorted to buying one this week - the Sealey VSE4781 VAG bush tool(cheapest I could find was around £75 inc delivery from here http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=VSE4781). It's a good tool since it includes the bits to both remove the old bush and press in the new bush, and it includes a proper thrust bearing for the 24mm nut that does all the work. Instructions are pretty good too and there's a helpful vid on youtube here too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4z2eZA3yU.

(One thing to note that differs from the video is that if you do it in situ (like I did) then you can't offer it up to the console pre-assembled, you have to kind of hold everything in place and then screw the threaded rod into the rear plate, then assemble the rest and finally fit the 24mm nut. This is because there's only about 20mm of space between the rear of the console and the chassis, so the threaded rod has to go in from the other side. It is a bid fiddly with only 2 hands but once it's in place you just wind the nut and it does the job nicely.)

The dimensions of it are critical though - esecially the bush removal 'shell' - if it had been a couple of mm larger it simply would not have fit (it was a pretty tight fit against the steering rod gaiter on both sides as it was) and it does already have a couple of critical parts of the shell machined away to clear the console casting on the inboard side. If you're only making the insertion part of the tool then it's not as bulky so exact dimensions not so much of an issue. There is still not much room to play with at the rear of the console housing when fitting the new bush. I'd be happy to measure/take pics of it if that would be helpful.

I posted on here last week to see whether anyone had a spare DIY version to sell or rent out but drew a blank, so I ended up buying it instead. I figured that tool plus 2 bushes = approx £100, local garage wanted £150+ to do the job..

Edited by jvn

Don't suppose you are able to measure the inner and outer diameter of the receiving shell that the bushing goes into? Would be great if I could get an idea what size I'd need to make it.

Yeah, outer shell is 85mm dia external and 73mm internal, ie wall 6mm, total length is 70mm including the closed base thickness which is 10mm. The clearance hole in the base is 16mm to suit the threaded rod which appears to have a 15/16mm thread with a matching 24mm nut. The smaller (silver) plate for bush removal is 61mm dia with a 1mm high step of 56mm dia (although I doubt this small step is essential). The gold insertion adaptors are as follows: the rear plate is 75mm dia with a small 1mm high step of 61mm dia, this step locates the plate centrally in the rear of the console; the second (front) plate is 73mm dia with a 15mm high step of 50mm dia, this fits inside the opening of the new bush while it is being pressed (pulled) into the console housing. The threaded rod is 170mm total length. I think that's all the info you need, good luck :-)

Edited by jvn

Amazing! Thanks very much, I'm going to make up a CAD drawing of this and post it up to see if you think it compares accurately to the one you have. I really appreciate you taking time to post this. Will just need to see if I can find some big enough bar stock.

Amazing! Thanks very much, I'm going to make up a CAD drawing of this and post it up to see if you think it compares accurately to the one you have. I really appreciate you taking time to post this. Will just need to see if I can find some big enough bar stock.

it's usefull to use the "removal" boss as a go/nogo guage after removal in case some polishing is needed before refitting-- it does make a difference :)

you will need some big bar, that's true. Alternatively you could work from a section of pipe stock and just make a lipped end piece (plug) , would work fine since it's in compression all the time when bush is being removed..

it's usefull to use the "removal" boss as a go/nogo guage after removal in case some polishing is needed before refitting-- it does make a difference :)

yes - I noticed quite a lot of white powerdery type surface corrosion/deposit inside the console bush housing, presumably due to salt ingress? I spent a few minutes with some emery closh removing the worst of it before fitting the new bushes; if I'd been fitting metal-bodied (Cupra style) bushes I would have spent even longer and been more meticulous on this part. Some clear silicon grease here helped a great deal.

• 11 months later...