Fogging Up

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the MK1 is prone to windows fogging up (front, rear and sides) in wet or cold weather? I've noticed this a few times over the 1000 miles or so I've driven in the past two weeks. Is it a 'feature' or is it possibly I need a new pollen filter? (the plenum grommets have been removed etc)...I'm guessing the climate control system is a bit dated and maybe a bit under powered for this size of car... Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Robbie

Fred,

Just back from having a look at the pollen filter housing, and to my horror, there's no lid on the filter!! Had a good look around the battery and all seems dry, but no lid!! The filter itself is dry and we've had little rain, but this would seem to be the likely the cause of the misting.

Just to be sure I'm not loosing my mind, there should be a lid/cover over the filter right? When I took off the rubber surround and plastic cover over the battery, I could see the bare filter element sitting in its box. I lifted it out and had a good feel around and all is dry. I assume I can get a filter cover from Skoda/VW and that should be that?

Bloody hell,

Robbie

There is no lid. How do you think the air gets through the filter element?

The problem is the outer seal between the scuttle pressing and the pollen filter holder. It's made of crappy self-degrading open cell foam and will be split and wet. Coupled with a design which gives unbelievably poor drainage - even when the bungs are not blocked, it's not surprising that most RHD B5.5s end up wet.

A dangerous and unforgivable design which VAG knew all about before they cut any metal with a "Skoda" sticker on it.

rotodiesel.

I see....That makes more sense.

Any ideas on the misting I'm getting? All seems dry around the filter and under the battery, but the car is misting up a fair bit on cold and wet nights?

Cheers,

Rob

I'll get a new seal on monday and change it. There are no other symptoms of water ingress, all the CCM functions are working.

Keep us posted Robbo - I noticed mine doing the fogging up thing, although all my carpets seem bone dry.

Have discovered the A/C isnt working properly, so will have it re-gassed and see if that helps things along...

Cheers Andy,

I'll check out all angles on the misting as soon as possible and post the results... All CCM functions are working, so it will be carpets up, seal pollen filter housing, re-gas A/C and see where I am then.

Rob

This has happened to me, and in the short term simply replacing the filter which sits above the dreaded pollen filter (not sure of the name)could solve the problem, only a 5 minute job as well. But in the long term you'll need to seal the pollen filter.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies... Yesterday I sealed the pollen filter housing with silicone, so hopefully no more tears there. The drain bungs under the battery are removed and all is dry there. There was some very slight moisture around the outer edge (along the door) of the carpet on the front passenger side, but I think it's either the door seal or the sunroof drain, more investigations to be done... Just the passenger side CV boot to do tomorrow and that should be pretty much it, till the next thing rears it's head.

Cheers,

Robbie