Steering rack rattle

Hi all,

Having looked around on the site to try and get rid once and for all of the annoying tinny rattle at lower speeds, I spent a long time locating it. I mananged to locate a very slightly worn drop link on the passenger side which is getting replaced once they arrive, but that was the only thing that I found on the whole front end.

Moreso though there was knocking coming from the steering box where it converts from circular motion to lateral motion. This quietened once the car started up but was still there.

Now would this allow the wheels to move slightly (a la old Landrovers) without moving the steering wheel allowing the tinny rattle to be heard?

Can you adjust the steering box to eleviate this or do you have to replace the rack.

Bearing in mind that the car passed its MOT and had its service at a Skoda main dealer 3 weeks ago and they didn't pick anything up at all???!!!!

Cheers for any ideas

Andy

Firstly the car has a steering rack not a steering box. At either end, connected to the rack are track rods, these are screwed into the ends of the rack and allow articulation by means of ball joints. Don't confuse the track rods with the track rod ends which are screwed onto the other end of them and are connected to the wheel hub.

I have seen on more than one occasion on the Fabia where the track rod ball joints at the rack end have worn, which will give a bit of movement in the rack and quite possibly produce the type of noise that you describe. You could check them by having an assistant gently rock the steering wheel whilst you feel/listen to the track rods.

The track rods are replaceable on their own and cost around £80 + VAT each.

• Like 1