Servicing differences between 2009 and 2011 diesel engines

The Plumber

Just been having a look at the service book as it's obviously changed since I last owned a Yeti. Noticed that later in the engines life there are differences in inspection and replacement intervals between the early generation CR diesels and those currently fitted.

Vehicles with engine codes CBDB (140 to WK45/09) and CEGA (170 to WK22/10) require the DPF to start its inspection regime from 150,000 km and the toothed belt to be replaced at 180,000 km.

The later CFH family (110 & 140) and CFJA (170) require the DPF to start its inspection regime from 180,000 km and the toothed belt to be replaced at 210,000 km.

TP

on low mileage i would change the cam belt around the 5 year old mark. my van was 5 years old and no wear near the recommended mileage when i had it changed, the garage said it was the right thing to do as the belt will deteriorate with age

It sounds to me that the experience with the timing belt life has been better than originally expected. There may have been some design/material developments as well.

My 2005 2.0 PD Octy had to have the belt changed at 120,000 km, and the same Yeti engine, albeit with 170 hp in place of 140, now is expected to be safe at 180,000 km.

VAG must be getting more experience with the statistical mean time to failure, and expand the service intervals to match.

The DPF is a different story, but a failure here is not nearly as catastrophical as a broken timig belt. I suspect that fuel and engine oil quality has a great influence in it's life, as well as driving habits as well. Many short trips and resulting high temperature cleaning cycles may have a lot of influence here.

My 2.0 170 hp CR certainly has changed behavior, as after retirement, it now sees a lot of 6 mile round trips followed by not so frequent longer ones. The 6 mile trip does get the engine coolant up to the normal 90°C at the end and oil temperature to around 75 - 80 °C - OK for the engine internally, but the DPF sure does go through more regeneration cycles than before.

Edited by Agerbundsen

Would you trust a timing belt for over 100,000 miles?, is there a time limit on the belt?

Hi,

no, no time limit stated just mileage.

Oh one other thing new to me anyway, the first brake fluid change is now at three years then two years after that.

Regards,

TP

My 2010 MY Golf MK6 1.6 CR TDI has a recommended cambelt change at 300,000Km with no time limit ! This extended replacement life was the result of a new Continental "high flex design" belt being introduced.