Problems after clutch change

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody can help me and stop me tearing my hair out.

I have just changed the clutch in my Octavia 1 (1999 1.9Tdi 110BHP). Now its all back together but I have a problem.

When I push the pedal, it goes most of the way to the floor before any resistance is felt and then its not much resistance. The clutch does not disengage enough with the pedal pressed to get into any gear.

I have bled the system through with a gunsons easi-bleed and had clean fluid coming out of the clutch slave cylinder.

Also, if I rig up a few spanners as a lever and operate the clutch release arm through the hole where the slave cylinder fits then the clutch disengages properly so it must be fitted and operating properly.

I have seen a few mentions of the web of master cylinders failing after a clutch change, presumably due to fluid moving around in the system. Or could it be the slave cylinder at fault. When I took it off the rod came out on its own to the full extent of the green rubber bellows surrounding it - when I fitted it back on the rod just squeezed back into the cylinder which all seemed quite normal.

I did not touch the pedal while the cylinder was out of the bellhousing.

Please could anyone help on this one, its driving me mad as the clutch is done but the car is undriveable

Many thanks

Jules

It's very common for the seal on the slave cylinder to collapse when bleeding the system.

Its quite odd. I never disconnected the slave cylinder when changing the clutch, just hung it up on the ABS module pipes yet after putting it back in I had the problems. I hoped that by not disconnecting it I would not have to bleed the system.

I guess that changing the slave cylinder will be a lot less trouble (and probably cheaper) than the master cylinder and will rule out that as a fault.

Unfortunately the seals on the slave & master cylinder are prone to reversing when bleeding, but if your brakes are fine then it's most likely the slave seal reversed.

Unfortunately the seals on the slave & master cylinder are prone to reversing when bleeding, but if your brakes are fine then it's most likely the slave seal reversed.

The brakes seem to be OK (thankfully) so I guess the slave cylinder is first port of call. If the brakes started playing up as well then I think I'd have a breakdown.

The brakes seem to be OK (thankfully) so I guess the slave cylinder is first port of call. If the brakes started playing up as well then I think I'd have a breakdown.

Ok, now I think I need to speak to the samaritans or something before I really do have a breakdown.

I changed the slave cylinder first on the principle that its cheapest and easiest to do. No real change, still couldn't get clutch disengaged enought to get into gear.

Then changed the master cylinder - bit of a pain to do but got it done. Bled everything up and still can't get it to work properly. Even tried with the old slave and new master - still no joy.

I even had my mate round for a couple of hours who has been a mechanic for 40 odd years and we still cant't get it right - it seems to be bled up OK and things are working but there just does not seem to be enough push to disengage the clutch even with the pedal on the floor.

If I set up a couple of bits of steel to operate the clutch release arm through the slave cylinder hole then all the gears engage easily but I can't get it to operate hydraulically.

Not sure what to do really - pull the gearbox out again or drive the thing off a cliff somewhere!!!!

Any suggestions to save my sanity? Please ?