New vrs side lights and mats

Hi guys, I got my new vrs the start if this month and the side lights don't work at all. Any 1 else had this problem? It's booked in to get it checked out.

Also are the car mats supposed to be just plain? ( my old vrs had the vrs logo on the mats)

Cheers!

Hi Kev vRS,

vRS doesnt have side lights in the traditional sense the DRL's are the side lights. There are a couple of bulbs in the main headlamp unit that actually do nothing and this is intentional.

What should happen....

Lights off - DRLs on V bright

Side lights - DRL's on dimmmed

Dipped beam - Lights on, DRL's still on dimmed

Full beam - as above but with full beam lamp activated in headlamps.

If you dont have DRL's activated, you need to remove the fuse panel below the steering column; there is a light switch under there which controls the DRL's.

Cheers

Paul

Hi kev, As the of the mats yes they are plain fabia mats i was told they dont do a vrs mat, so at a later date will be getting some vrs mats on ebay......cheers.

In response to this the mats are just plain. I negotiated some free OEM fabia mats as part of our deal which are perfectly decent; wouldnt have wanted to pay for them.

Hi Kev vRS,

vRS doesnt have side lights in the traditional sense the DRL's are the side lights. There are a couple of bulbs in the main headlamp unit that actually do nothing and this is intentional.

What should happen....

If you dont have DRL's activated, you need to remove the fuse panel below the steering column; there is a light switch under there which controls the DRL's.

Cheers

Paul

Hi thanks for the reply, that's exactly how mine is. I just don't understand why the bulbs are there and not used...

As for the mats, not happy paying 50£ for them ! >:-(

Thanks guys

I've negotiated free mats and few other bits as part of the deal.

These items cost next-to-nothing for a Dealer and can make up some of the profit lost on a canny buyer pushing for a good deal on the car itself but if they want a sale then a few £s lost on mats is a pretty small 'un-recoverable'.

The bulbs you're looking at in the headlight cluster are there because on models upgraded with the curve-function headlights they illuminate when cornering. It's just cheaper for Skoda to produce one headlight cluster and just not wire it up.

Hi thanks for the reply, that's exactly how mine is. I just don't understand why the bulbs are there and not used...

As for the mats, not happy paying 50£ for them ! >:-(

Thanks guys

No worries. Dont personally understand why they cant just take the bulbs out and cap the holes but thats quirky old Skoda for you!

I got some OEM carpet mats thrown in as part of the deal when we bought ours, some dealers arent so giving though!

Edited by pipsyp

Hi Kev vRS,

What should happen....

Cheers

Paul

What he said :)

That's handy to know, I really don't like the DRLs so I will be driving with the side lights on all the time. Will the "sidelights" stay on after the engine is switched off?

That's handy to know, I really don't like the DRLs so I will be driving with the side lights on all the time. Will the "sidelights" stay on after the engine is switched off?

Hi CMcK,

Dont have alot of choice with the DRL's i'm afraid, they are the side lights on a vRS. They just dim when you put the side lights on. You can turn off the DRL's so no lights are activated when the ignition is on (button behind the fuse cover under the steering column) but they come on dimmed as soon as you turn that light switch.

Why do you not like them anyway, its one of the distinctive features of the vRS. I tried the lights on ours for the 1st time last night and the DRL's are so bright you probably could drive with them on at night and see where you are going reasonably well!

The bulbs you're looking at in the headlight cluster are there because on models upgraded with the curve-function headlights they illuminate when cornering. It's just cheaper for Skoda to produce one headlight cluster and just not wire it up.

Are you sure, cant see the benefit in an additional "fixed" lamp in the headlamp for the curve projectors. Surely the whole point is that the DE swivvles with the car as it turns?

Hi CMcK,

Dont have alot of choice with the DRL's i'm afraid, they are the side lights on a vRS. They just dim when you put the side lights on. You can turn off the DRL's so no lights are activated when the ignition is on (button behind the fuse cover under the steering column) but they come on dimmed as soon as you turn that light switch.

Why do you not like them anyway, its one of the distinctive features of the vRS. I tried the lights on ours for the 1st time last night and the DRL's are so bright you probably could drive with them on at night and see where you are going reasonably well!

Being able to disable the DRLs would be good. I really cannot see any benefit to DRLs and they are bad news for motorcyclists. If it is dark put your lights on, if it's daytime you shouldn't need them. A little bit of common sense is all that is required.

Aesthetically I think they look awful especially on the DS3 and the chavvy design on Audis. I also find them very distracting which isn't very safe! The DRLs on taller cars are dazzling in the rear view mirror of my Boxster.

The EU wants to decrease fuel consumption and cut CO2 emissions but insists that cars use more power to run lights full time.

OEM mats are decent enough but better out there on the market and branded vRS.

I got mine for £ 30 with the car.

I dont really know why you'd go and buy aftermarket mats when you can get perfect good OEM Skoda items free of charge with the car. At the end of the day they fit great, dont move around and all they do is stop the carpet from getting mucked up. On hind sight I kind of wish I'd got the rubber ones but carpets ones do look better. Do appreciate some dealers are perhaps not so giving as mine was though I was a bit of a pain and asked for quite alot of stuff, most of which (understandably) I didnt get!

I for one dont personally care about vRS branding on the mats, theres vRS branding everywhere in the interior anyway...having it on the mats its getting on the verge of becomming distasteful :-)

Edited by pipsyp

Are you sure, cant see the benefit in an additional "fixed" lamp in the headlamp for the curve projectors. Surely the whole point is that the DE swivvles with the car as it turns?

Pretty sure, as I currently drive a corsa with "adaptive front lighting" and besides the projector lens' which bend 15 degrees theres a bulb fixed at 45 degrees which illuminated when I turn.