clutch and gear changing problem.

My 05 Octavia 1.9 TDI has recently developed two problems. these problems are not happening all the times so far.

1. when I release the clutch, it won't go up fully, only half way up. This happens often when I stuck in the traffic and need to press the clutch frequently.

2. when the revs are higher than 3000, when I change into 2nd or 3rd gear, sometimes I can hear the "clunk" sound. If I change into 5th gear from 3rd or 4th,

I can't go into it, feeling like hit a wall. These problems never happen when I change gear at around 2k revs, only happen when the revs are higher than 3k.

My local garage can't pinpoint the problem. He told me it won't affect the gear box. He suggest me not change the clutch until it totally gone.

I am still not sure about this, please give me some opinion. Thanks.

I can't help on #2 but the clutch pedal sticking could be an iffy master cylinder (or maybe slave cylinder, can't recall which). I had the same in my old Seat Leon when one night I got into the car, pressed the clutch pedal and I had to prise it back up off the floor with my shoe before the car would start moving. It only happened the once but I had the appropriate cylinder replaced under warranty soon after and that cured it.

Though this is obvious have you made sure that nothing (eg. carpet mat) is getting in the way of the return travel?

Don't tell me you are actually trying to change gear holding the engine at 2000 or 3000rev/min?

If the gear shift does not engage smoothly it sounds like your synchomesh is worn on certain gears, If you have other clutch trouble it will affect all gears. If you have DMF that could now also be damaged.

Retired MV Tech

• 2 months later...

hi...i own a skoda octavia mk2,it has done 60000kms with well maintained service history,but until recently i have noticed that ,when i try to move the car from idle on first gear i could feel a vibration which is mild,but i never had any sort of loss of power and my gear shifts are smooth,except for the fact that after engaging the first gear the engine easily stalls if the clutch is not released very slowly which i never felt driving another similar make,but yesterday while i was back from my work suddenly the clutch pedal was not responding and it went in,so i had to pull my car on the side and called a local service guy who checked the engine side and said that the clutch mass cylinder got bursted even i saw few splashes of clutch oil in the engine cover..the car is now in the service center,can any one say me is that the clutch mass cylinder failure which was giving me trouble in releasing the clutch pedal on the first gear? can i expect any changes in the clutch pedal response and release after changing the mass cylinder...?....pls help...thanx a lot in advance

Edited by dr.navin