1.6cr Greenline Combi - real life economy

I've just completed the first 'real' trip in my new Greenline Combi, from Dublin down the west cost of France via Roscoff.

A total of 980km (612 miles), the trip was a mix of everything from 80mph+ cruising on motorways, back roads, urban driving and a horrendous 10 mile french tailback on a motorway.

By a brim to brim calculation I achieved a consumption of just over 5l/100km (56.5mpg), considering the vast bulk of this driving was at about 145km/h (90mph) with three people and a full boot I was quite amazed.

The comfort factor was another thing altogether, after the guts of 4 years of driving a MKV GTI and doing similar road trips I was almost shocked at the difference. The GTI was in hindsight a very uncomfortable car for long drives.

So the savings on fuel will pay for an extra beer of two while over here.

I've just completed the first 'real' trip in my new Greenline Combi, from Dublin down the west cost of France via Roscoff.

A total of 980km (612 miles), the trip was a mix of everything from 80mph+ cruising on motorways, back roads, urban driving and a horrendous 10 mile french tailback on a motorway.

By a brim to brim calculation I achieved a consumption of just over 5l/100km (56.5mpg), considering the vast bulk of this driving was at about 145km/h (90mph) with three people and a full boot I was quite amazed.

The comfort factor was another thing altogether, after the guts of 4 years of driving a MKV GTI and doing similar road trips I was almost shocked at the difference. The GTI was in hindsight a very uncomfortable car for long drives.

So the savings on fuel will pay for an extra beer of two while over here.

Your brim to brim calculation was that done by hand or by the MDI ?

I've also just done the first refill after mostly highway at 110km/h and 130km/h - Almost half was with a bicycle on a rack on the towbar.

I log the fuel consumption on http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/460587.html

Here is a list of other superb 1.6 http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/45-Skoda/400-Superb.html?fueltype=1&power_e=107&minkm=500&exactmodel=1.6&powerunit=2

Edited by majland

Can I assume then that you had a quarter of a tank left when you reached your destination? Be nice to see what consumption you would get on a long journey keeping speed to 100kph

I've a 170DSG and do a good bit of business mileage, thinking of changing to a Greenline Elegance but would miss the auto. I'm hoping they will offer the greenline features across the range soon so I can drop to a 140DSG

GT

Can I assume then that you had a quarter of a tank left when you reached your destination? Be nice to see what consumption you would get on a long journey keeping speed to 100kph

I've a 170DSG and do a good bit of business mileage, thinking of changing to a Greenline Elegance but would miss the auto. I'm hoping they will offer the greenline features across the range soon so I can drop to a 140DSG

GT

I've just done a little over 300 miles in a Superb 1.6Tdi Greenline SE Estate. It is a SUK press vehicle booked as a demonstrator via our leasing company. The car is showing approx. 6,000 miles.

Travelling on the M5/M6 this morning the MFD showed 68.5mpg, however, on the 45 mile commute on the M42 from my office this evening the car achieved 74.5mpg, admittedly driving at or around 60 mph. By way of comparison, my 83k miles Superb 1.9Tdi hatch regularly achieves 65-68mpg for the same journey when driven in the same economy friendly manner.So, the 1.6CR is 10% more fuel efficent than my remapped 1.9Tdi. The MFD tends to overread by up to 10%, so on this basis, the 74.5mpg figure of the Greenline 1.6Tdi equates to 67.05mpg.

I also found that the lower and stiffer Greenline suspension allows higher cornering speeds and less body roll than my 'S' spec hatchback. Exiting the M6 today I was overtaken by a girl in an A3, only to have to trail brake in a tight lefthand bend; such was the ability to carry around 5mph more speed than in my own Superb.

I'm still not convinced I need a Superb Estate, being more than happy with the load capacity of the hatchback. The main advantage is a lower loading sill which makes accommodating a bicycle much easier. The Estate's folding seat squabs also allow the seat backs to fold flatter.

SE spec provides Cruise and Maxidot, however, I'm not sure I could live with the bloody reversing sensors 'beep beep' whenever reversing, while climate is a waste as I am happy with the semi-automatic air con on my 'S'. The seats do have more lateral support on the 'S', while there is more rear seat headroom in the estate which is a boon for 6 foot plus passengers.

Another issue is the lack of a spare wheel on the Greenline, where I estimate it would cost around £150 for a wheel, tyre, different spare wheel polystyrene insert, jack, brace and wheel nut wrench.

Am I the only person who has noticed that the rubber insert on the inside of the door handle pull is missing on new Superbs In cold weather, or with wet hands, the newer door handle in hard plastic needs a firmer grip. Cost coutiing me thinks! In addition, the leatherette gear lever gaitor looks decidedly cheapo, like something you'd find in a Ford.

While I'm still having a moan about minor issues, I found myself inadvertently changing the MFD display with my right hand while driving with hands on the wheel spokes. The wheel mounted Bolero mute button is useful, although, the volume thubwheel moves too easily and would benefit from more positive indenting. Pesronally, I think the 'new' Bolero buttons feel flimsierthat the original version, however, they are larger which is a positive tradeoff.

I took the family for a drive and SWMBO thought the ride in the rear was harder and more jitterly than our 'S' hatch. I guess this is the result of the lowered suspension. Spped humps need to be taken at lower speeds.

Stop Start works well and undoubtedly contributes to the impressive economy figures; it's just a shame it is not available on the Tdi 140/170 models, as is the case with the Passat.

The gear selector demands changes in first and second at 2,000rpm, while third, fourth and fifth are recommended at 1,800rpm, a little low for my liking and which gives the engine a laboured tone. At 70 mph, the engine was turning 2,200rpm, higher than I would have thought ideal. Does anything know how many revs the Passat 1.6Tdi generates in sixth gear at 70mph?

In summary, whilst there are obvious mpg and tax benefits to the Greenline, I am not wholly convinced. I think a remapped 140 CR might provide a more enjoyable and relaxing driving experience, whilst still having comparable economy and company car tax band to my exisitng 1.9Tdi.

Edited by veloplus

I've also just done the first refill after mostly highway at 110km/h and 130km/h - Almost half was with a bicycle on a rack on the towbar.

Here is a list of other superb 1.6 http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/45-Skoda/400-Superb.html?fueltype=1&power_e=107&minkm=500&exactmodel=1.6&powerunit=2

Other drivers of 1.9Tdi engined VAG vehicles might be interested in my fuel statistics compiled over the past six months and over 25,000 miles of driving:-

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/425451.html

There are two Superb Greenline's which have recorded better economy, however, I cannot determine whether they are 1.9Tdi or 1.6Tdi Greenline's.

it was done by hand alright, I don't really trust the MDI. I had just over a quarter of a tank left on arrival.

To add to the mix, yesterday I did a bit of touring and drove about 300km on back roads, dual carriageways (no motorways) and the MDI figure showed an economy figure of 4.5l/10km (63mpg) .. while I know this isn't accurate it was based on driving in and around 90km/h (55mph or so).

On the way home this evening I managed to squeeze 73mpg out of my Superb hatchback (per the MFD); this being based on an average speed of 50-60mph, coasting out of gear on long downhill stretches of the M5/M42 and slipstreaming lorries (maintaining a safe two second stopping distance).

By way of comparison, driving a Superb Greenline Estate on the same route the previous evening, I achieved 74.5mpg with relative ease.I guess this proves that the 1.6 CR is more economical than the older 1.9 PD.

Getting into my car the morning I also noticed the noise of the engine. The 1,6 CR really is much more refined.

Still undecided between a 1.6 CR Greenline or a 140CR; the latter having more remap potential, plus the possibility of a factory ordered full size spare wheel (on 'S' models, that is).

Edited by veloplus

Velo, would have thought that the 1.6 could pull much lower revs than 2200 in top, plus the gear selector appears to offer lowish revs for when to change. Although this would probably give very reasonable MPGs I think that the engine could well be struggling at times and perhaps laboured too much. What are your thoughts on this?

I guess to really get moving you'd have to work the engine/gearbox quite hard which would dramatically affect the consumption - a 140 on the otherhand would not need as much welly to get it going, whilst still giving reasonable MPG performance. This was my main reason for opting for the 140 SE Estate over the Greenline.

I suspect that you are paying similar CC tax to me and thus the marginal increase to a 140 gives a lot more car for your money, well in SE spec anyways :-)

Good write up though, thanks.

Si

Velo, would have thought that the 1.6 could pull much lower revs than 2200 in top, plus the gear selector appears to offer lowish revs for when to change. Although this would probably give very reasonable MPGs I think that the engine could well be struggling at times and perhaps laboured too much. What are your thoughts on this?

I guess to really get moving you'd have to work the engine/gearbox quite hard which would dramatically affect the consumption - a 140 on the otherhand would not need as much welly to get it going, whilst still giving reasonable MPG performance. This was my main reason for opting for the 140 SE Estate over the Greenline.

I suspect that you are paying similar CC tax to me and thus the marginal increase to a 140 gives a lot more car for your money, well in SE spec anyways :-)

Good write up though, thanks.

Si

Si,

Thanks for your appreciaition of my thoughtson the Greenline II.

Yes, I was under the impression that 3rd, 4th and 5th had lengthened ratios, however, 2,000rpm at 60mph was identical to my 1,9Tdi.

Using the gear selector was a bit of a distraction. I found that it was best to change 1st and 2nd between 2,200-2,500 rpm, but 2,000 rpm for the remaining gears. You are correct, adhering to the gear indicator produces a laboured sound to the engine. Even at 30mph in 3rd the engine is only just happy, but grumbly in the recommended 4th gear.

On the motorway, although, pickup from 65-70mph was acceptable, it was not as easy as my remapped 1.9Tdi which simply requires a gentle prod of the toe to manoervre into a gap.

The 1.6Tdi gets up to legal speeds without too much fuss, but will rev more freely than my PD. A 1.6Tdi requires more gear changiong than my 1.9Tdi, or possibly a 140CR.

Doing the sums shows that a 140CR S/SE will cost similiar to fuel and in BIK taxation to my existing Superb 1.9Tdi. The Greenline BIK tax advantage is reducing from next April when the current 13% rates jumps to 16%. Given that any factory order is likely to take 6 months, this will mean delivery in November and only 4 months at 13% BIK until the increase next April.By comparision, a 1.6Tdi SE Greenline hatchback would give a £1,200 saving in fuel/tax over what I pay at present (based on a nominal 3 year period and 90,000 miles).

The June 2011 price rises has impacted on leasing rates, so that, if I chose a Superb Hatchback 140CR SE I would have to contribute £356.54 to include metallic paint.This has to be paid as a lump sum payment at the time of ordering, rather than on a monthly basis over the 48 month contract period. With the price a diesel, groceries etc ever rising, I am reluctant to spend my hard earned on improving a leased vehicle, with the possible exception of a remap. ;)

Another issue is the lack of spare wheel on the Greenline. This morning I visited my friendly Skoda main dealer at Powick, Worcester who quoted approx £125 (inc VAT) for a 7 x 16j steel wheel with 205/55/16 tyre, jack, brace and replacement polystyrene boot well moulding. It was suggested I ssnaffle the full size spare in my current car, however, I think the leasing company might object :giggle: So, if I deduct £125 from the £1,200 fuel/tax saving, the actual saving is £1,075, although, I would be within my rights to sell the spare wheel/jack/brace at the end of the contract period.

A 140CR 'S' hatchback can be equipped with cruise, maxidot, headlamp washers, Bolero, rear side window blinds, heated seats & screen, spare wheel, Xenons, rain sensor, metallic paint and yet, still be within the monthly budget of £425 which seems appealing. Yes, the car will be on 16 inch wheels rather than sexier 17/18 inchers, however, I won't need to wait hours by the side of a road if I shred a tyre, while my exisitng Autosocks will still fit. Yes, the 'S' rides higher than the lowered Greenline, but the ride quality is better and will be appreciated by passengers.I'm still surprised at the way a Greenline can corner so flatly, but wonder how wearing this might become on bumpy B-Roads.

Edited by veloplus