Standard 16inchwheel colour change

hi all

just primmed my standard wheels ready to repaint and im not sure what colour to paint them to go on black fabia rs. They originally came in the normal silver, then resprayed in gloss black which looked nice but i dont know if i want to go back down the black route and silver seems a bit plain lol

i was thinking maybe some sort of shadow chrome or something with a bit of a difference, kind of in between silver and black. i really dont like the anthracite colour so im thinking of swaying towards the silver colour but with a bit of a darker finish or some sort of flake in it to give a shadow effect.

the gf suggested lime green or orange, not sure im man enough to take on that task lol

Any suggestions are welcome and i could really use some advice on what people used and where they got the paint from. i.e good brands, prices, part numbers colour names etc :)

cheers in advance guys :)

Edited by E11HES

Inside of the spokes and the whole inside of the wheel, do black with metal flake.

Outside of the wheel (the whole face), do moondust silver with metal flake!

Easy with a bit of fine line tape. ;)

Have the spoke edges diamond cut sharper and go for dark chrome mate.

That may well be a first with the 16s, I saw a set of diamond cut

spiders on here once and they looked mean B)

I will be sorting out my OE wheels soon, can't warrant

expenditure on 17s and new tyres :(

(In other words I'm not allowed new wheels :doh:

but I have managed to get bigger brakes and new suspension past

the banker so not all bad) :thumbup:

Inside of the spokes and the whole inside of the wheel, do black with metal flake.

Outside of the wheel (the whole face), do moondust silver with metal flake!

Easy with a bit of fine line tape. ;)

Any colour codes or links to where i could buy these, i like your suggestions :)

1 lime green.

2 ST orange.

3 vrs red.

Kinda like the vRS red, its just finding somewhere that will supply a decent rattle can of the colour :/ struggling at the moment

Any colour codes or links to where i could buy these, i like your suggestions :)

Unless you have a 'car paint' suppliers near you, your only option is halfords.

The black can be any black and the silver I would use is 'Ford's moondust silver', then get about 30 grams of fine metal fleck/flake off ebay.

Don't know if your using a spray gun or aerosols?

It'll be looking like this with the fleck

DSC00386.jpg

But with black fleck inside, something like this. (mates monza's)

IMAG0191.jpg

Blend these 2 pic's together and walla!!

................. gold. :thumbup:

I'm with Rob; and to show how much here's his photoshop that I keep dragging up! :)

4730541265_dd633b8513_z.jpg

Alternatively Elliot if your going coloured - go big or go home

It'd take time and a LOT of masking tape but something like Ross's Green and black Avus creation

95194c2e.jpg

go big or go home lol, loving it mate. as said before i dont have the "parts" to go with the gold wheels, dont like them that much anyway.

The monza's look amazing like that, might have to give it a go and see how it ends up. would u suggest using fine sandpaper in between priming and painting guys? iv got a pack of 3 different type papers. 1 corse to get them ready for priming, then some medium and fine but i haven't painted alot before and dont know if you should use fine in between coats to get a better finish :/

I can't claim credit for go big or go home it was thrown at me when i asked for wheel colour opinions - shortly followed by "Do fluro green!" :D

Personally I found the more sanding you do the better!

I used 60 grit paint removal paper to get the original lacquer/paint off but in retrospect I should have used less coarse sand paper (or less pressure) as the wheels still have some quite deep scratches in.

Once they were back to a "smooth" bare finish I primed, then sanded with the most abrasive wet & dry I had, then primed, then sanded, then primed until my primer ran out!

I sanded again with a finer grade of wet & dry then did a black coat, sanded, black coat, sanded, final black coat until i ran out of paint.

Then added clear coat, sanded, clear coat, sanded, clear coat.

I reckon with hindsight if you can see a scratch in the rim of the primter it'll look 100 times worse once painted!

If your just repainting them just give them a rub down with some wet and dry to give them a key,(flat looking) dont need to go back to the metal. Taking off the original laquer will be an effort. If you want to start again get them dipped then maybe powdercoated or resprayed, maybe shadow chromed?