massive electrical problem

Hey people,

Weird problem here. Long story short, I've checked all the connectors, the fuses, the CCU unit/connector, everything totally dry, pins, wires in good condition, BUT ****loads of things have given up on me within minutes:

-ALL the inner lights except dashboard and instrument panel

-ALL four electric windows

-rear wiper

-FOB

-reg plate lights

It's a nightmare, really.

What's strange for me is that both cig lighters work, even the one in the boot, plus I haven't got any problem with the outer lights (head lights, tail lights, reverse lights)either. Oh, and I can lock/unlock all the doors from the drivers armrest.

Have you got any ideas what could have gone wrong?

I imagine you'd say ingress for the first instance, but then why is the door lock working? I can also control the mirrors, however, in "R" position the controller moves both not only the one on the right.

And how the hell is the rear wiper connected with the inner lights and the windows at all?

Crazy. Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Attila

First of all, I think that your mirrors are working correctly.

Perhaps you have a water leak at the joint in the rear wash pipe work on the left hand side of the boot?

That is where I would probably start looking as it is a common fault and it may have caused a fuse (or fuses) to blow which has taken everything else out. The joint in the pipe is in the same place as a connector for the wiring harness, so it also gets wet if the pipe separates.

Thanks for the quick response, but that's fine, I've checked it. Also, none of the fuses are blown. The eletric windows don't even have a fuse in the common box. I found three high Amper fuses on the top of the battery, but those are fine as well.

Edited by John_Rambo

I can't really position the failure, really.

The whole thing started with the reg plate and boot lights problem. When I checked the cables, I found out that the inner boot lights are not fed from the wires which feed the tail lights. I can see the loom going back to the front part at the top of the back seat, but that's it pretty much, I didn't want/dare to take the car apart. There must be a massive wire junction somewhere, but still: it's very strange that all the problematic things (lights, windows, fob) are connected somewhere together...

You are totally right ExAudiSi, I would think of the fuses first, but the problem is just not there. I removed the lower fascia panel to get a closer look at the fuse box and the loom around the relays and that area, but nothing out of ordenary.

I didn't use a multimeter, though. I know that's the next step, but I'm going on holiday, so no chance to check it with that until next week. I'm a bit scared of the long journey with these annoying problems, but I think as long as the car drives well I shouldn't have any problems in general. We'll see.

I can't really position the failure, really.

The whole thing started with the reg plate and boot lights problem. When I checked the cables, I found out that the inner boot lights are not fed from the wires which feed the tail lights. I can see the loom going back to the front part at the top of the back seat, but that's it pretty much, I didn't want/dare to take the car apart. There must be a massive wire junction somewhere, but still: it's very strange that all the problematic things (lights, windows, fob) are connected somewhere together...

Can you see where the loom goes up towards the tailgate hinge and the bellows?

The joint that I was refering to is somewhere in that area. The number plate lights, rear wiper, boot light and central locking wiring will all be joined at that connector near the rear washer pipe.

Can you see where the loom goes up towards the tailgate hinge and the bellows?

The joint that I was refering to is somewhere in that area. The number plate lights, rear wiper, boot light and central locking wiring will all be joined at that connector near the rear washer pipe.

I'll have a look at this joint as well.

BUT FIRST, THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH!!! YOU FIXED IT!

I was pretty lame to be honest, not giving enough attention to the smaller fuses. After reading the other topic I found a blown 10A one, swapped it with the one for the indicators, and voila, it works!

The things at the back still don't work, but they can wait until tomorrow.

I really can't tell what a big help you've been. Many thanks again.

Attila