Engine dies for no reason !

langtone

Help. 1.2AZQ. Once every 50miles or so engine power cuts out. Continuing to press the accelerator does nothing ( mpg reads ---, or l/100km read 0.0 ) Lift pedal and repress and all is fine again for another few yards or another 50 or so miles.

Changed sparks, swapped ignition coils, changed air filter, changed fuel filter. Diagnostics (VAG-COM) comes back with no fault codes. EPC light does NOT come on. Also does same if cruise control is on.

Any ideas as I do not want to carry on down the replace the fuel pump, replace the injectors, replace the TDC sensor route which costs loads and maybe solves nothing.

Thanks in advance for any advice

It had been suggested that the problem could be the brake switch telling the engine management that the pedal was pressed ( when it was not )

The engine management will not allow brakes at same time as accelerator and cuts fuel completely should this situation occur. This could also happen without resulting in any fault codes.

I have today changed the brake switch for the new type 1K2 945 511 RDW. So much easier to fit than the old type.

But problem remains :( Still no fault codes on Engine or Instruments using VAG-COM

Please, anyone, any ideas ?

Hi, i have just bought a fabia vrs, the chap i bought it from described a recent similar problem that he had fixed, the crank sensor was replaced and that solved it, i think the receipt was for 280quid fixed at dealers, not cheap but perhaps something to explore

Could be. I suspect if it gets no signal from the crank, it thinks it is not turning so doesn't run the injectors and ignition.

My wife has the identical car so I can test this first by swapping between the two. If the problem moves to my wife's car I then don't mind spending out on the sensor.

Just to add to the story. I have also now checked that the chain has not jumped a cog on the exhaust cam. Took the two plugs out from the side of the engine. Both the exhaust and inlet cams are the exact same angle. Someone said this is a common issue that causes similar symptoms. Luckily this is not my case.

Hi, just found the receipt for the sensor it was £32 for the part then £175 labour/diagnostics etc! Excl vat, So if it does need one it shouldn't break the bank

I had the similar problem. Only mine showed errors. Cylinder miss fire. Check the ignition coil for tiny brakes. Mine was short to ground on one cable on the body of the coil, but wouldn't do that always. Sometimes engine would just die but i had a beep from dashboard. Most of the time operated normally.

Sorry, just saw that you said you swapped ignition coils...

Edited by cedonni