Tow bar bypass relay wiring

Guys

I have just fitted a towbar to my Octy Vrs LE so I can use my heavy duty bike rack. As its just for a rack I just got the bypass relay electrics kit which I need to wire in but this is where Im stuck. Does anyone have a wiring guide for one of these especially seen as the brake/tail light seems to use a single element bulb ?

Ta Chris

Hi Chris, this may help you out:

http://parking-sensor.co.uk/ins/Relay_Fitting_Instructions.pdf

Are you using a single by-pass relay? The instructions refer to a parking sensor kit but would be the same principles. I mounted mine in the boot, took a while to find a switched +12V in there, I ended up jumping off a switched line into my CD changer.

Hi Chris

There are copies of a wiring diagram for a relay I used here TEB7AS

I got 12v from linking to one of the connections on the front of the battery (put an in-line fuse close to the battery). I ran that anto the car and along the cills into the boot.

I fitted the relay in the boot behind the wheel arch.

First I connected the tails from the towbar socket to the relay as described in the instructions. There are a couple of ready made earch bolts with nuts there.

Then you have to go searching for the right wires to clip into.

Take off the left/nearside bulb holder from the light cluster. To be honest, there are just a handfull of wires into the light cluster (maybe 4 plus earth) and a five quid circuit tester will tell you which is which.

Use the circuit tester to see which wire is live when the bulb you want lights up. You need the find indicator, side lights, brake and fog. You will also need pick up the wire for the right hand indicator.

Note the colours and then find these colours further back into the loom where you have space and close to where the relay is fitted. Then use scotchloc or solder as you wish to connect the tails from the relay to the car's loom.

The relays are now clever enough that you don't need the side lights at all. Just attach for fog and brakes and it will figure out when the side lights are on.

Note.

There is no need to take a wire all the way to the right light cluster for the indicator - just note which of the 5 wires is the indicator and its colour and then pick that same wire/colour up in the loom.

HTH

• Like 1