Replacing projector headlights with normal ones... can it be done?

About a month ago I bought a 2007 Fabia 2 which has the projector headlights.

How can anyone think this is progress? I have seen brighter headlights on bicycles than these! I cannot belive that they cut off the light to dim them, it is so backwards. I had been driving a 1997 Volvo V70 prior to the Fabia which also used the H7 bulb, but had a seperate bulb for both the dip and full beam, and this was a much better arrangement.

What I want to do is rip out these useless headlights and install the normal H4 ones that the cheaper models come with, as I know for a fact the the H4 is a better arrangement (had this on a fiesta).

Does anyone know how much rewiring I will have to do?

I have upgraded the bulbs to Philips Extreme which helps a little, but they are still awful.

Cheers!

About a month ago I bought a 2007 Fabia 2 which has the projector headlights.

How can anyone think this is progress? I have seen brighter headlights on bicycles than these! I cannot belive that they cut off the light to dim them, it is so backwards. I had been driving a 1997 Volvo V70 prior to the Fabia which also used the H7 bulb, but had a seperate bulb for both the dip and full beam, and this was a much better arrangement.

What I want to do is rip out these useless headlights and install the normal H4 ones that the cheaper models come with, as I know for a fact the the H4 is a better arrangement (had this on a fiesta).

Does anyone know how much rewiring I will have to do?

I have upgraded the bulbs to Philips Extreme which helps a little, but they are still awful.

Cheers!

I cant offer any help other than completely agreeing with your opinion of the lights. Naff arent they.

My Greenline has them. The dip is rubbbish, at least with reflector lights you get some light spill down the road but these projector lights just cut off to black.

I have Phillips Xtreme bulbs which just about make mine 'adequate'.

I imagine changing them out would be problematic. One option although questionable from a legal point of view is a retro fit HID kit. These lights are SERIOUSLY bright and specifically designed for projector lenses.

However come January 2012 it's no longer "questionable" - they are just plain illegal.

The January 2012 MOT rules state that auto-levellers and washer systems must be in place with HID's making a retro-fit extremely cost prohibitive.

Totally agree the dip is terrible!, no I would say dangerous on the very twisty roads here (beddgelert to Caernarfon road) the lights give you no confidence, however the adaptive headlight system is fantastic shining the light into the corner, the bends here are nearly 90 degrees so dogleg corners, any advice on which bulbs would be best for the dip?, cost uninportant just want the best I can, I have put night breakers in the 3 cylinder fab and they are an improvement, anything better out there? I have the projector unit with adaptive headlights

Osram night breakers? , I have a set on the other fabia they are ok , Phillips seem like they are the 1'ns

Nah, osram hyper blue 5000k

Also, you might want to look at this

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/FABIA-II/Fabia-II-10-12-Facelift-day-fog-lights-MONTE-CARLO-OEM-Skoda-Autoas

Edited by apmaman

Osram night breakers? , I have a set on the other fabia they are ok , Phillips seem like they are the 1'ns

Nah, osram hyper blue 5000k

These ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OSRAM-Cool-Blue-Hyper-Headlight/dp/B004QOHPAY

as if so

This product is not road legal to use in the EU

:thumbdown:

Edited by delta925

Tbh I wasn't overly impressed with the Orsam Night breakers or philips extreme's which I had in my old Fabia mk1. I put them in the Mk2 and the light was better, but it was still very yellow and I didn't rate them for the price.

Some cheap ebay "Xenon look ultra white super awesome HID look bling bling for £3" lights were just as good.

Those Orsam Hyper lights are good though, shame they aren't 100w though as they'd cut through the light on full beam!

If your pockets are deep enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIAA-Xtreme-White-Plus-Headlight-Bulbs-Race-H7-55-100w-/280711787212?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415bb9f2cc

Edited by apmaman