front end rattling over rough roads

We have an 02 1.8T with 80000miles on the clock and it rattles a lot over potholes. The noise seems to be both sides, from wheel arch areas

So far I've changed the upper control arms on one side and lowers on the other with little improvement (I'm not sure how worn the old ones actually were, but from reading Passat forums these were often culprits for rattling)

I've also checked the engine mounts and subframe bolts - all tight

Shaking the wheels at 12/6 and 9/3 there is no real play. There is a bit of play in the transmission when rotating wheels (allowable?). The rattle is under power/coasting or braking so I assume not CV joints?

Where do I look next? Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

I would continue looking at the control arms. In my experience, a small amount of play in the ball joints can make quite a lot of noise. I currently have a rattle which is the upper control arms on the drivers side (I'm going to have another go at the stupid pinch bolt tomorrow after a week of penetrating oil!).

Incidently, the noise I have now on the top arms is just the same as the noise I got when the lower rear arm joints went.

I would continue looking at the control arms. In my experience, a small amount of play in the ball joints can make quite a lot of noise. I currently have a rattle which is the upper control arms on the drivers side (I'm going to have another go at the stupid pinch bolt tomorrow after a week of penetrating oil!).

Incidently, the noise I have now on the top arms is just the same as the noise I got when the lower rear arm joints went.

Thanks. I can't think what else it could be so will have a go at the other CAs not yet done.

I read a lot about the pinch bolt on Passat World. There are good recommendations. I threaded the lock nut back on a few turns and bashed it 20+ times with a lump hammer. I also eased the bolt head 45deg each way clock/anticlockwise quite a lot until I got a bit of shaft visible to hacksaw through and get the bolt head off. Then using a spare nut and washers/spacers pulled it through using its threaded end (tough, but could have been worse!) good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the car sorted...

I can't have been braking enough over rough roads, or was side-tracked by the control arms, because the actual noise WAS the cheap brake pads rattling in their caliper mounts (presumably getting louder after the copper grease washed away. What a racket from such a small piece of metal! I really can't believe it. They were the cheap ones from GSF without adhesive backing and the lugs were not as snug in the mounts.

£66 later I have genuine VAG labled ones from the Audi dealer (actually TEXTAR made)

At least when the scrap man came driving by today I managed to haggle a decent looking kids bike off him in return for the chunks of old aluminium control arms..

Yet another slightly expensive lesson learnt on this Superb, but I still love it!

Finally got the car sorted...

I can't have been braking enough over rough roads, or was side-tracked by the control arms, because the actual noise WAS the cheap brake pads rattling in their caliper mounts (presumably getting louder after the copper grease washed away. What a racket from such a small piece of metal! I really can't believe it. They were the cheap ones from GSF without adhesive backing and the lugs were not as snug in the mounts.

£66 later I have genuine VAG labled ones from the Audi dealer (actually TEXTAR made)

At least when the scrap man came driving by today I managed to haggle a decent looking kids bike off him in return for the chunks of old aluminium control arms..

Yet another slightly expensive lesson learnt on this Superb, but I still love it!

I was going to suggest that having had the same issue myself, any pad you use must have the backing stuff on it, GSF do their own ones but these are metal smooth and absolutely a drum kit.