LSD for a Rapid 136

stevejwest

I keep hearing that you can fit an LSD from a BMW into the skoda 5 speed gearbox.

Anyone got any information on this they would be willing to share? Also if it is possible to change the ratios as with my current engine mods my gears just aint tall enuf!

I would like not to have to weld up the diff for drag and Barrel Racing but I may have to get a second diff and do this if I cant get an LSD or a locking differential.

Currently the car is running 91bhp at 5270 and 126Nm at 4945. It isnt a screamer so tops out at 6000 RPM

Ok Steve, I know you've got a 136, so should have the 5-speed box and 4.1:1 CWP set. I also know that there were some (originally manufactured in error) 5-speed boxes with the 4.4:1 CWP from the 120 series cars imported by SUK (primarily for rally cars). Hve you checked that you have the 4.1:1 CWP fitted?

Ah good point Ken - pretty sure its the 4.1 as the car tops out at 100+ at 6000 rpm not the lower speeds im told the 4.4 diff does

Edited by stevejwest

Yeah, that's the 4.1. Back in the day Cars & Car Conversions (now reincarnated as Practical Performance Car) built a GpA rally Estelle that revved out at 7_000 / 120mph on a 4.1. Which is why they bought one of the boxes with the 4.4 in it.

• 2 months later...

Kalmar Motorsport in Czech sell them and will ship to the UK. Google them and it will give you the option to translate the page into English. Also sell gearkits and different ratio Crown Wheel/Pinion's. This seems to be the only source for rapid/estelle motorsport parts that is still in existance.

• 1 month later...

1.3 models should be 3.9/1. The 4.22 is a 120 ratio, and fitted to 135 / 120 lxe models in semi trailing axle models.

Topping out at 100 @ 6000 rpm does sound like a 4.22 though.

Mine does 100 at about 4000 rpm (actual speed about 91 on satnav)

Photo1229.jpg

But it is running a 1.6 Rover K series engine though :D

• 2 months later...

just checked my timing slips to see what sort of data I have recorded and - well knowing how accurate the rapid clocks are :wall:

14.42 @ 98.7 mph and when I lifted off the revs were showing approx 6000 and mph was approx 110 - the speed and time are accurate on the timing slip but in car data is a little.................

Think I need to get some data logging :rofl: but then isnt this a bit computerised for a rapid? And there was NO WAY I was taking my hand off the wheel to take a photo! :rofl: