Exhaust Question

Hi All.

Well it finally happened, my central silencer has snapped at one end, and I took it to the garage today (after waking everyone up with the noise) Been told I need a new central silencer and new rear. He quoted me 130. Not bad. He told me that was the cheapest he could get the parts for. Anyway I have found cheaper parts on Ebay from a company called eternal car. I can get the parts for Under £50, and he told me he could fit them for £50. So it looks like I could save £30.

Couple of questions (sorry)

Should I do it?? Anyone used them??

What Parts should I get??

There is so much to choose.

My Car is Felicia L R reg. (98) !.3 Estate.

So far I am thinking of these. Will they fit?? Dont want to get it wrong.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190466456654?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3012wt_1139 - Central silencer

Ebay Silencer - Rear

Any advice/help would be really useful

Thanks for reading

Dylan

Be careful with cheap eBay factored parts, they often don't fit too well and need a little fettling to get them right, better off going for a higher quality system like a bosal one otherwise you will be replacing it again in a year.

Just let the garage source the parts, that why it minimises the chances of the parts beings made in vietnam. i bough a cheap system off ebay and regretted it.

I would pay the extra £30 and let the garage do the whole job lot, that way if it's difficult to fit it's not ur problem and you can come back to someone.

Be careful with cheap eBay factored parts, they often don't fit too well and need a little fettling to get them right, better off going for a higher quality system like a bosal one otherwise you will be replacing it again in a year.

Nothing wrong with Thyssenkrupp exhausts, they are OEM suppliers to a lot of auto manufacturers.

I bought a rear silencer from Ebay 'eternalcar' for £18.34 + £11 postage last May and it was much better made ,and a better fit ,than the garage supplied one that I took off.

The hanger fitting was a better fit, and better made altogether.

Stuff the garage and their ridiculous prices.

Give the join clamp a good whacking,undo it, jiggle and twist the box about a lot,and it comes off..

It aint that far under the car.

You get yourself dirty,

And it's 'worth it'.

Edited by iansmith

I bought a rear silencer from Ebay 'eternalcar' for £18.34 + £11 postage last May and it was much better made ,and a better fit ,than the garage supplied one that I took off.

The hanger fitting was a better fit, and better made altogether.

Stuff the garage and their ridiculous prices.

Give the join clamp a good whacking,undo it, jiggle and twist the box about a lot,and it comes off..

It aint that far under the car.

You get yourself dirty,

And it's 'worth it'.

Thanks Ian, you made me feel a bit better. Garage is going to fit it, which is a shame. Cant get under the car enough. Only have a jack. He's going to put it on for £50. Shame as I wanted to get my hands dirty. Though I will miss the tank waking up the neighbourhood.

Thanks Ian, you made me feel a bit better. Garage is going to fit it, which is a shame. Cant get under the car enough. Only have a jack. He's going to put it on for £50. Shame as I wanted to get my hands dirty. Though I will miss the tank waking up the neighbourhood.

Sounds a good price to me,I would probably gone for that myself,

But for having done it the once,actually for the first time,and it wasn't that bad a job.

But previous I would certainly gone for the £50.

I put the jack on some MDF roofing board scraps to gain some more inches,made it easier,likely would not have done it otherwise.

And the rear box is not so far under the car.

I put the jack on some MDF roofing board scraps to gain some more inches,made it easier,likely would not have done it otherwise.

And the rear box is not so far under the car.

Dodgy :o

A recipe for either 'You've been framed' or 'Casualty'

Dodgy :o

A recipe for either 'You've been framed' or 'Casualty'

You really should shove a few of these

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=axle+stands&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

under there

ref LINK for more info on jacking up a felicia

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/151040-jacking-up-a-16-felicia/

:thumbup:

:)

Edited by iansmith

UPDATE

Got the parts, £50 (middle box and rear silencer) and my garage put it on £40 (gave him £10 tip) as it was done within the hour. My neighbours are happy, (less noise) and so far so good. She's going well and much better MPG.

Happy days (for now at least)

Thanks for all your comments and advice