Back!

slidejules

Afternoon all!

So after 3 years away from Skodaville, and in the meantime having owned a 400 quid Jag XJ6 (awesome barge), an 800 quid Saab 9000 (loved it), a VW Golf GT TDI 115 (economic and quick, but blew its head gasket in a very expensive manner), and a new shape Kia Sportage (48mpg? yeah right!!! Best I could get was 37 out of it...), this morning I picked up a 2004 Octavia TDI Estate, Laurin Klement, with 105k on the clock. Great condition! Although the ad said 130hp, it's only 5 speed, and feels very much like my old one, which was a 110bhp. I test drove a couple of 130s and this one definitely isn't one. Actually I'm not gutted at all, driving back from J7 on the M4, round the M25 and up to J14 on the M1, averaged 68.7mpg! I'd forgotten quite how insanely economical these beasts could be :-)

Good to be back! (as my wallet heaves a sigh of relief...)

J.

Afternoon all!

So after 3 years away from Skodaville, and in the meantime having owned a 400 quid Jag XJ6 (awesome barge), an 800 quid Saab 9000 (loved it), a VW Golf GT TDI 115 (economic and quick, but blew its head gasket in a very expensive manner), and a new shape Kia Sportage (48mpg? yeah right!!! Best I could get was 37 out of it...), this morning I picked up a 2004 Octavia TDI Estate, Laurin Klement, with 105k on the clock. Great condition! Although the ad said 130hp, it's only 5 speed, and feels very much like my old one, which was a 110bhp. I test drove a couple of 130s and this one definitely isn't one. Actually I'm not gutted at all, driving back from J7 on the M4, round the M25 and up to J14 on the M1, averaged 68.7mpg! I'd forgotten quite how insanely economical these beasts could be :-)

Good to be back! (as my wallet heaves a sigh of relief...)

J.

I had a Fabia PD100 which seemed a bit tame compared to my old Octavia PD90. To be honest it would not pull the skin off a rice pudding but it was returning incredible MPG. I took it to those terrific guys at Jabbasport and they immediately diagnosed a faulty mass airflow sensor. £95 and 15 mins to fit and it was back to how it should be. The MPG, unfortunately, became a bit more realistic but hey, power requires fuel and the ECU was now being given the right info about the amount of air going in and so served up more juice.

Maybe your Octavia really is 130bhp!

Carl

Carl - I don't think so, I found the sticker with the engine type and it said it's an ASV = 110hp. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's plenty quick enough. I had my old golf 115 remapped which was great, and maybe I'll do the same for this one eventually, but it'll have to wait for a while until funds permit. For the minute I'm just happy to have something that even around the roundabouts of milton keynes is still giving me > 50mpg. Love it!

Just got to get a new boot liner and take out the false floor which I'm not really a fan of... don't need it, and it stops my guitar amp from fitting under the load cover upright ;-)

Sweet car!

J,