Considering buying an Octavia TDI PD - which one and what to watch out for?

dtr

Hi,

I am about to change cars, and strongly considering getting an Octavia II, so I thought this may be a good place to get some insider info!

I am really looking for diesel to keep fuel costs down, and will be buying 2nd hand. My driving involves a mixture of Mway, town, and B-roads including many many hills, and some very steep. Obviously, the car should be as reliable and trouble free as possible. I will certainly lose the benefits of A class, but in return I am looking for more power, cheaper servicing, and reliability.

Firstly I can't quite decide on the engine, there is 1.9 TDI PD 105bhp, and 2.0 TDI PD 140, as well as Superb with 1.9 TDI 130bhp, and VW Passat variants of 1.9. Which cars will give the least headache to somebody with limited mechanical knowledge? I can just about change filters and oil. I'd really like to avoid big ones like engine, turbo failure, gearbox, clutch, and have enough power to comfortably go up those 10%-25% hills, but no need for racing, I wouldn't take it much faster than the speed limit. I guess 105 can be remapped if it is not powerful enough? Insurance costs should be taken into account if possible for bigger engines.

The other cars I am remotely considering are Toyota avensis d4d or Honda Accord.

So, which options are the least risky?

Many thanks.

From what you have said I would go for the 1.9PD105 as they are bullet proof and have years of reliability behind them :thumbup: . The PD105 is still a nippy motor and offers slightly better fuel economy than the PD140 and doesn't suffer from potential turbo failures/porus heads like the PD140.

If you find the PD105 lacking in grunt then a remap will take it close to the 145bhp mark with an increase in torque too.

My parents have a pd105 which they bought from new (58) and now has nearly 80k on it, they travel from North Yorks to Limoges area in around 12hours with the only break being the ferry/tunnel trip & they do this several times every year and have never had a single problem or complaint about lack of power.

Matthew

Thanks, that's very useful. That looks like 1.9 is the one to go for. Is it much different to Passat 05 1.9 TDI PD - just to give me a bit more choice when buying?

P.S. If I go for an estate version, could I expect to fit in a mattress for an occasional weekend trip to Wales, Peaks or Cornwall?

Thanks.

Thanks, that's very useful. That looks like 1.9 is the one to go for. Is it much different to Passat 05 1.9 TDI PD - just to give me a bit more choice when buying?

P.S. If I go for an estate version, could I expect to fit in a mattress for an occasional weekend trip to Wales, Peaks or Cornwall?

Thanks.

Engines are the same/similar in the Passat although you will find the ride is completely different due to the Passat using the same chassis as the Superb. The Passat is alot softer/less fun as I tried one before buying the Octavia (both same PD140 engine)

My estate opening is 1.1m so you might want to see how wide the mattress is

That's OK.

What are the interior dimensions with rear seats folded flat from the tailgate to the back of the front seats?

What you really want is a 1.9 TDI PD 130bhp 6 speed L&K B)

Is the 130bhp 1.9 TDi a factory set-up or have you remapped the 105 to 130bhp?

I've never seen one, they are all 105's, I'm guessing they must be rare?

Is the 130bhp 1.9 TDi a factory set-up or have you remapped the 105 to 130bhp?

I've never seen one, they are all 105's, I'm guessing they must be rare?

Factory set-up and standard. yes they are rare. It's effectively the same engine as the fabia vrs. They were in some of the late mk1's and i'm sure the early mk2 (only ever seen 2 for sale). similar to the 2.0ltr CR being in the late mk2 before being introduced in to the facelift cars.

Either way go for the 1.9PD you wont be dissapointed. Plenty of power in standard guise and meets all the requirements you listed. Even better, remap it (I recommend Shark :thumbup: ) and you wont get the smile off your face :rofl:

Do I need to be worried about injector problems in 1.9 TDI PD? There seems to be some negative press on piezo injectors, if so how do I know which ones come with older solenoid type? I'd really like to avoid injector failure. I am considering 04-07 with less than 100-120k depending on price, and prefer estate.

Finally, is Passat 1.9 "junk" as suggested here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-2005/ They mostly go on about 2.0 TDI or DSG that I will NOT buy, but mention several other things. I find it a bit difficult to reconcile with the fact that nearly the same car can be rated as one of the more reliable, and the other 'not recommended'. Well if it is, I'd want to know and cross it out from the list early on.

Thanks

Do I need to be worried about injector problems in 1.9 TDI PD? There seems to be some negative press on piezo injectors, if so how do I know which ones come with older solenoid type? I'd really like to avoid injector failure. I am considering 04-07 with less than 100-120k depending on price, and prefer estate.

Finally, is Passat 1.9 "junk" as suggested here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-2005/ They mostly go on about 2.0 TDI or DSG that I will NOT buy, but mention several other things. I find it a bit difficult to reconcile with the fact that nearly the same car can be rated as one of the more reliable, and the other 'not recommended'. Well if it is, I'd want to know and cross it out from the list early on.

Thanks

The Octavia doesn't have that much in common with the Passat. It's a stretched Golf/A3 really not a Passat.

The 2.0 PD140 in the Octavia actually isn't bad, and doesn't have the oil pump and injector problems that the Passat versions do. Its one consistent problem does seem to be turbo troubles though.

The only Octavia PD engine with the problematic piezo injectors was the 2.0 PD170 VRS. Neither the 1.9 PD105 or the 2.0 PD140 in the Octavia have piezo injectors.

I rather like my 2.0 PD140 :)

Same goes for me - I have had a replacement turbo due to the siren noise developing.

An enjoyable drive and effortless performance and 51mpg overall.

I rather like my 2.0 PD140 :)

Same goes for me - I have had a replacement turbo due to the siren noise developing.

An enjoyable drive and effortless performance and 51mpg overall.

Yes I like mine too. I had a 1.9 PD105 Octy courtesy car when mine was in for a cambelt a few weeks ago and it reminded me why I originally chose the 2.0 in preference. Not that there is anything wrong with the PD105, far from it. Just the PD140 feels noticeably smoother and more powerful to me. I would be interested to see what a PD105 was like remapped to about 130-140 bhp though.

Depends on your priorities really. There is certainly far less chance of turbo failure on the PD105, and it is more economical overall.

Personally I wouldn't be put off a 2.0 PD140 in an Octavia due to the horror stories of 2.0 PD140s in Passats. They are different engines with surprisingly few shared components between them.

Yes I like mine too. I had a 1.9 PD105 Octy courtesy car when mine was in for a cambelt a few weeks ago and it reminded me why I originally chose the 2.0 in preference. Not that there is anything wrong with the PD105, far from it. Just the PD140 feels noticeably smoother and more powerful to me. I would be interested to see what a PD105 was like remapped to about 130-140 bhp though.

Shame you live so far away as mine is a pd105 that has been remapped by Shark, makes a difference thats for sure. More poke for overtaking

Shame you live so far away as mine is a pd105 that has been remapped by Shark, makes a difference thats for sure. More poke for overtaking

I'm sure it would make an interesting comparison. I had a Citroen HDi remapped a few years ago and it really transformed it. Not just in terms of power, but in how it drove generally.