buying advice please

dtr

Hi, I am fairly new here, and changing cars at the moment.

I am pretty much set on a used mk2 (NOT mk1) Octavia 1.9 TDI PD but probably might consider Superb mk1. I'd prefer an estate, but hatch wouldn't be a deal-breaker if everything else is right. The car will be used for commute and other personal projects. I'd like to take my fairly large bicycle with me sometimes - perhaps can be carried externally.

I am just a bit unsure what priorities should I set: age - is 2006 that much better than 2004; mileage - 80k - 110k - or 130k still OK; estate vs hatch; trade vs private, classic vs elegance; octavia vs superb, hopefully not ex-taxi if that is possible at all, not cat c/d.

Budget-wise I would like to spend less rather than more (who doesn't?!) and wouldn't mind some scratches or not so popular colour. £3-4k realistic for a stable copy? I could spend more but only if necessary as there are other ways I could spend the rest. I am probably looking to add another 20-40k without a major breakdown (like a blown engine or gearbox), then upgrade some 2-4 years later, depending on my future career opportunities.

So private, trade, or is there any way to get a bargain from SKODA main dealer? Trade seem to get a few cars from them... I don't see the point in paying the middle man.

Obviously I will be looking to test drive, plug in a scanner, do a HPI check and perhaps get a mechanic recommendation from a local garage.

Thanks

If you join an aution house website you can get info on all the ex authority cars coming up. Doesnt have to be pursuit cars, it can be staff cars from the Police, Medical services etc,

Is auction not a place to 'dump' faulty stock, with no checks allowed, and no way back?