Michelin snow chains for Yeti

Bobdog

I wouldn't have bothered with the socks but for my ski trips to the Alps. The law says you have to carry chains on the mountain roads (but apparently socks are acceptable as an alternative). In theory I could be stopped and spot checked even if the roads were clear. But I have certainly experienced being pulled over (along with hundreds of other cars) into a large layby/carpark where we either fitted chains or spent the night until the road was cleared, albeit only once in the last 20 years. But S*d's Law dictates the year you don't have the gear ...

Unlikely if you are fitting winter tyres.

Please remember that having a 4x4 is NOT the greatest cure for snow ever invented. It may get you up the hill, but no matter what is on the wheels gravity and momentum are a far greater force downhill.

ditto. Remember the night that hundreds of people were stranded on the M8 in minus 16 last year? I drove all around the area on unrtreated back roads in a 2 wheel drive Octavia on winter tyres. The only time I had an issue was when I turned into a side street and hit a wall of snow that was up past radiator level. Frankly nothing other than higher clearance would have helped. Save your money, you will not need snowsocks

:thumbup:

Save your money, you will not need snowsocks

:thumbup:

+2 (if I count Llanigraham too)

You will be amazed when you put the winter tyres on believe me and you will have no use for socks. I drove into a carpark last winter (picture below) as if it was a bit of tarmac in front of a Greek taverna in the middle of August. No sliding and the car just went were it was pointed... I got out and promptly fell right over!!! It was sheet ice I was driving on! I had a few bruises but boy was I impressed with the tyres when I realised exactly what I was driving on.

166289_475796666323_671901323_6252293_5363488_n.jpg

IMHO no need for socks AND winter tyres. I've used both and never got stuck on Yorkshire hills when the roads are white (and that was a 2WD). If winter tyres don't grip, next step is chains. So it better snow this year (and badly) now I have a 4x4 Yeti and winter tyres going on this weekend!

Thanks to all for answering my question. (It took a while to find the thread again.)

My Cooper Weathermasters ST3 were fitted today by West End Garage in Broxburn (they washed my car while I waited which was great). The Cooper tyres are 205/60 R16 so don't look any more lost in the wheel arches than the summer Dunlop 17s - I'll happily trade off not being able to use snow chains which would be unlikely for only a little speedo error.

First impressions are the Coopers are just a little bit noisier than the the Dunlops but I think TP may be right about 16s being preferable - it was a lot less bumpy going over the expansion joints on the Forth Road bridge on my way home from the garage. I think for once the storm blue colour might be helpful as the black steelies don't look quite as bad to me as some of the pictures of lighter coloured cars with them that I've seen.

Ooooh, I'm back too! Thank you ... another correct decision.

Oh, now I've gone again ... can the numpties not make up their minds?

MICHELIN TYRE SOCKS

Used them last year on my Octavia ll Estate tyre size 205/60 x 15. Fantastic! Drove to Tesco in 4" of very slippery snow, the roads were chaotic, the shop carpark was worse but it was almost like there was no snow.

Putting them on is easy, just slip them over the top and down as far as you can then roll forward

about 2 feet and tuck over the last bit then away you go. Check after a few hundred yards though.

Edited by Osmodia

MICHELIN TYRE SOCKS

Used them last year on my Octavia ll Estate tyre size 205/60 x 15. Fantastic! Drove to Tesco in 4" of very slippery snow, the roads were chaotic, the shop carpark was worse but it was almost like there was no snow.

Putting them on is easy, just slip them over the top and down as far as you can then roll forward

about 2 feet and tuck over the last bit then away you go. Check after a few hundred yards though.

Do they not get trashed though as soon as you hit a patch where there is tarmac poking through? A bit of a PITA to have to put them on and off the whole time.

these Michelin snow ropes/chains are £50ish in Costco, so save £30 and get them from there... I am getting some for our xmas trip to the highlands, and a shovel too.