Thinking about a Superb 1

A8_tony

Hi guys,

this is my first post, and already I'm gonna be tapping you for information, as quickly as possible, as I need to decide on a purchase ASAP. :) I hope you don't mind.

I'm in the market for a VAG mota, that will give me plenty of room for my 2 little girls, and also be damned comfortable to drive 'cos I'm gonna be covering 1000's of miles a month (done 3k in past 2 weeks :-O)

So the superb has come up as an option, I've always like them, and there seem to be quite a few around the £4k mark, which is wher my budget is.

So a couple of easy ones to start:

1. Diesel engines, what's the one to go for? The 1.9 (which variant) or the 2.5 (160?)

2. Petrol engines, are they worth considering? There's a 2.8 V6 unit converted to LPG that is very enticing. But is the unit good for 100's of thousands? It's already done 155k!

3. I've always thought they sit a bit high, and wondered what options there are for lowering? I know they were based on a VW Passat platform so is there scope to drop it using standard Passat parts, or would you recommend something else? I will need to keep a level of comfort on this.

4. Speaking of comfort, what's the best trim level to go for? I've got an A8 (not ideal for covering 1000's of miles economically) that has 1/2 alcantara/leather seats. I could source another set, or maybe do something else. But for a starting point, where do I need to be?

5. Sat Nav. Very few of the Superbs appear to have a factory sat nav unit. Can a modern one be retro-fitted? Ideally I'd like the OEM look, so would also be looking to get bluetooth fitted too.

6. Engine remaps. They've got to exist out there, who produces the best maps out there? And what could I expect for my money?

that'll do for now I think, look forward to seeing the responses :D:thumbup:

A8 Tony,

Most would recommend the 1.9 TDI PD 130 BHP (AWX Engine code), very reliable and economical. I have one myself and it is a great engine. Can be remapped also but I wouldn't bother. Sat nav is you're own choice but I just use a Tom Tom/iPhone.

Hope this helps,

Rob

As Robbo Cop says, the 1.9 PD130 AWX is the pick of the bunch for longevity and all round economy/performance.

Whatever version you go for do a thorough check for all internal electrical faults like cabin lights, windows, puddle lights, etc, etc… The ill-thought out design of the car allows for water ingress problems, leading to corroded wires in the loom under the rear passenger well (do a search and be prepared to be shocked) but don't be put off – there are cars that have never suffered from it and there are some simple measures to help prevent it.

As for lowering and remapping, I would personally go for a full kit or coilovers rather than just lowering springs as I've read of problems with a bouncy-bouncy ride on just springs. I've yet to succumb to the modding madness that I suffered from with the Octavia :giggle: I guess age and another little 'un have tempered my urges, and the fact that I'm pretty skint now helps :(

I'm definitely getting a remap when the funds allow and I think I'll go for AMD, but only because they're fairly close to me. There's plenty of info on here for that and two site sponsors come highly recommended - Unit 18 and Shark Performance.

Sat Nav I don't really know about as I just use a Tom Tom that was handed down to me a couple of years ago. I also use good old fashioned road maps :thumbup:

Hope some of this helps and you find a winner. I've grown to enjoy my Superb after initial reservations. I came to it from a turbo petrol Octavia with hard suspension upgrade and tight handling so the Superb felt like an ocean liner compared to a speedboat.

For the kids and SWMBO though, the MASSIVE cabin space and smooth cruising ride of the Superb are perfect, and it's good for the pocket with the MPG, too.

Good luck, and post any potential cars up so we can give feedback ;)

something you might want to look for when comparing different cars - folding rear seat. Didn't come in until the 2005 model year.

It doesn't fold completely flat but makes a big difference to practicality.

The Elegance has the best spec (other than the L&K but doubt you'd get one of them in budget, and the difference isn't that great really)cruise, climate control, at least partial leather, heated seats, folding mirrors etc

OEM SatNav looks good but is not the most user-friendly system and doesn't do full postcodes; and new CDs (not DVDs) are expensive at around £120 :o - or can update with one a couple of years old from ebay for £40-£50 or so. I believe there is an aftermarket double DIN unit available - but not cheap and probably doesn't work with steering wheel controls etc

good hunting

Edited by sidewaze samm