Different Contisports on front?

Unfortunately I managed to bruise my Fab vRS slightly against a tree a little while back!

The bodyshop had to replace the front drivers side tyre, and have replaced it with a standard ContiSport. The other corners all have Contisport 2s on (original tyres).

There is a slight difference in tread pattern. Anyone out there know if its a problem running 2 (slightly) different tyres at the front.

As an aside - bodyshop took over 5 weeks to repair the damage!!! So I'll be jolly cross :finger: if they've put me on a dangerous setup.

Many thanks

There is a slight difference in tread pattern. Anyone out there know if its a problem running 2 (slightly) different tyres at the front.

Potentially! Basically you're likely to have different levels of grip because the tyres aren't the same (especially if one is already worn). Ideally you should change tyres in pairs on the same axle, or all 4 at the same time if you have permanent 4 wheel drive.

Whether you'll notice it in day to day driving is another matter though - I severely doubt it unless you throw Jon the keys ;) but I'd take it back and insist they have replaced the tyre with a lower spec one than was on there originally.......

Chris

Thanks Chris - I suspected as much.

There's no way I'm letting the car go back to the original cowboys. I'll change it locally myself then send the insurance co the bill!

Potentially! Basically you're likely to have different levels of grip because the tyres aren't the same (especially if one is already worn). Ideally you should change tyres in pairs on the same axle' date=' or all 4 at the same time if you have permanent 4 wheel drive.

Whether you'll notice it in day to day driving is another matter though - I severely doubt it unless you throw Jon the keys ;) but I'd take it back and insist they have replaced the tyre with a lower spec one than was on there originally.......

Chris[/quote']

Sorry for jumping in on this thread too (I am stuck at home: enforced!)

Anyway, several years ago during advanced driving training we were shown a film (note, not a video!) of what happens when you mix different tread patterns on the same axle.

The car in the film was driven through standing water by a trained driver at a set legal speed with identical tyres fitted.

One of the two front wheels was then changed for a tyre with a different tread pattern and the drive repeated.

Result was an instant loss of control, despite both tyres being legal tread depth :eek:

Up until that point I would never have believed that just having two different tread patterns would have made such a difference!

Just thought I'd give you more ammo for the insurance company.....I'm trying to find out if the clip ever made it onto the internet....

Go on - cheer me up, why don't you! I've been running around in the snow on these for the last few weeks!!!

Currently hanging on the phone for the local dealer to source me a ContiSport 2...

I'll swap your aquaplaning vid for one of a Chinook falling off the back of a carrier - from your profile it looks like you may enjoy that!

Cheers

Steve

Go on - cheer me up' date=' why don't you! I've been running around in the snow on these for the last few weeks!!!

Currently hanging on the phone for the local dealer to source me a ContiSport 2...

I'll swap your aquaplaning vid for one of a Chinook falling off the back of a carrier - from your profile it looks like you may enjoy that!

Cheers

Steve[/quote']

Hated them stoopid things!!!!!! Chinooks that is! :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

I'm sure the car in the film was doing 60mph so as long as you don't etc etc etc :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Presume you play with them at Odiham?? (I grew up in Farnham)

The voices on the vid sound American. The aircraft is coming in low onto the back of a carrier. Gets the nosewheel on, but not the back end!!! Rolls over backwards very gracefully into the briney! Its only about 500k, I could send it to you if you like?

Steve

IMHO - as long as the fronts are the same as each other, and the backs are the same as each other, you'll be just fine.

I've driven cars with 4 different tyres on, and that's not the best of ideas for sure.

Front pair/rear pair is fine though ;)

Also on a FWD car having the REAR tyres with the most thread apparently kept the car easier to control, worth keeping that in mind (think it was a topgear test on the track)

Sorry for jumping in on this thread too (I am stuck at home: enforced!)

Anyway' date=' several years ago during advanced driving training we were shown a film (note, not a video!) of what happens when you mix different tread patterns on the same axle.

The car in the film was driven through standing water by a trained driver at a set legal speed with identical tyres fitted.

One of the two front wheels was then changed for a tyre with a different tread pattern and the drive repeated.

Result was an instant loss of control, despite both tyres being legal tread depth :eek:

Up until that point I would never have believed that just having two different tread patterns would have made such a difference!

Just thought I'd give you more ammo for the insurance company.....I'm trying to find out if the clip ever made it onto the internet....[/quote']

I remember that film! But I'm almost sure it was used to demonstrate the potential dangers of mixing radials and crossplys on the same axle. It was a real old film, in black and white, and the narrator spoke with that incredibly daft BBC accent which thankfully we don't hear these days :D

I remember that film! But I'm almost sure it was used to demonstrate the potential dangers of mixing radials and crossplys on the same axle. It was a real old film, in black and white, and the narrator spoke with that incredibly daft BBC accent which thankfully we don't hear these days :D

IIRC it was about radial and crossply mixing. Very large diffrences in grip and "slip angles" - in other words enough variation to upset the (mostly) understeering bias built in to road cars.

Having two sets of similar (but not identical) tyres as you have may make some difference in the wet but it will be way smaller than the impact that having a well worn set of tyres on one end of a car with a much newer set on the other end. This is often what happens in FWD cars if tyres are not regularly swapped. In standing water you can end up with one axle clearing water well and the other (with less tread) totally overwhelmed. This major loss of balance could have catastrophic consequences.

Balance tyre brands/types and tread wear rates if you want to maintain the overall balance of the car.

Thanks for all you input guys.

Just to confirm, the insurer's repairer put one tyre on only, so I have different tread patterns on the same (front) axle.

Unfortunately I am old enough (today!) to remember the cross ply/radial mix advert. BBC safety information film voiced by Harry Enfield's Mr Cholmondley-Warner!!! and only slightly preceeding the "Charlie says...... don't smoke in bed...." ridiculous cartoon cat adverts (remember???)

Anyway. I've a new ContiSport 2 on order to replace the cheaper replacement, and the insurance co didn't argue about footing the bill. Will drive SWMBOs Forester instead if it rains heavily!!!

Yes I am old enough to remember that one too :o :(

But the film in question wasn't that one.........if my old grey cells recall past events it was a Rover SD1 and it was shot in colour (just!!!...probably coppavision!)

Yes, the effect was similar to the mixing of crossplies and radials which is what scared the bejaysus out of the class!!!

You guys realise the next question that the whippersnappers will ask..........."wot's a crossply guv?" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Old age never comes alone, it usually accompanies teenage kids, debt, and a married size wife! :thumbdwn: :mad::mad::rofl:

had had that done on my car contactsport in stead of contactsport2 and they didnt balance the wheels properly so it handled like **** still isnt good now but i phone the company* up and they didnt do much about it so i just waiting to sort it out when i can get two the same done by a local tyre guy i use

* different to what i use usualy will not use again

i just waiting to sort it out when i can get two the same done by a local tyre guy i use

Can your local dealer get hold of Contisport2s?? Both my local guys said they couldn't source them as they were on backorder with Continental till MAy!!!

I managed to find some in stock on the net though at http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

They're posting one to me (about